Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worried about my transmission.....I think I know how to correctly check my transmission fluid level.....wondering people's thoughts about doing a fluid and filter change......could it be a bad thing for such an old transmission

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to run a transmission shop. If someone flushed the trans with solvent it's a sure bet the It would need a rebuild shortly after. The solvent deteriorates the seals inside the trans. But if it is done with just transmission fluid that is fine.
I would never own one of those machines. Total waste of money. I you want all of the fluid changed and flush the converter you don't need a machine. What I did was drop the pan change the filter, then disconnect a cooler line at the radiator. Hook a line with a hose at the radiator, and slide a hose onto the cooler line. Run both hoses into a bucket, then overfill the trans with fluid, like about 3-4 qts overfull then start it up in neutral when the fluid going into the bucket clears up shut off the engine and reconnect the cooler line and top off the the trans fluid if it doesn't clear before you run out of fluid more will have to be added. All of the fluid coming out of the torque converter goes to the cooler, so this method safely flushes the converter. But I only did that if the fluid was brown discolored, if the fluid was black then there is no sense in changing the fluid because the trans in not in good shape, and is going to fail anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts