Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Dakota has about 102,500 km (63,700 miles) and I think its probably due for some PM. The transmission shifts fine most of the time except after coming off around 30-60 minutes of highway driving. After getting off the highway and coming to a stop, the transmission doesn't want to up-shift and will rev at 3000-4000 RPM. When I floor it, it will then up-shift and stay in the correct gear.

I don't believe the transmission has ever been serviced so I thought an oil and filter change wouldn't hurt. I read through some of the previous topics and it looks like there are some internal screens that should be cleaned and there may be issues with the governor pressure solenoid and/or a governor pressure sensor.

Any advice about servicing my transmission and getting it to last a long time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace the filter, refill with ATF+4 fluid. Amazon has mopar for $30 for 1.3 gallons.

Take note of any debris and color of fluid , take pictures especially if there are chunks. Maybe even keep it if you can. You can adjust the bands also but in 160K I never had to.
At 18 years and no services I'm sure the fluid is bad and replacing it may rip it apart and cause you to have to have it rebuilt.. New fluid has detergent in it and it will loosen any varnish that has built up in an unserviced tranny. But change it, drive it. If it continues to work, change the fluid and filter again in another month... Then once a year or at least every 2 years. Replace any seals that leak, don't use an ATF additive...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I talked with a transmission shop and they think that, because the truck has sat for long periods, there could be some stickiness from corrosion in the throttle pressure mechanism. Before I do any work on it, I thought I would check into transmission shift kits. I see Transgo has one that might work but they are taking forever to reply.
Any advice about shift kits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't do any kits unless your rebuild it. If i had it to do over again I would just do the Shift Performance K500-618-L kit and be done. The biggest thing on these transmissions is to get it to do full time lube and a few other minor things, but overall most shift kits are not worth it as it is electonic anyway. I really think mine shifted better before the shift kit. For maintenance, just change the filter and fluid, maybe adjust the band... then monitor it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts