Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transfer case blew up on me this weekend. I have an 02 QC 4.7 w/ AWD (NV244d). I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the NV244d AWD transfer case to a regular NV233d 4WD case. Seems like I can find a NV233d cheaper. If so, do any other mods need to be made? Does the selector switch or any other electronics need to be swapped?

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Does the AWD Have 4 Positions (3 if you don't include the Neutral pin thing.) Other than that I would think it would be the same just has a different setup inside. I mated my 42re t case to a 46re no problems. Only difference was in the side of the transmission.

Also make sure spline counts match up. But I believe all dakotas were 23 spline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the AWD Have 4 Positions (3 if you don't include the Neutral pin thing.) Other than that I would think it would be the same just has a different setup inside. I mated my 42re t case to a 46re no problems. Only difference was in the side of the transmission.

Also make sure spline counts match up. But I believe all dakotas were 23 spline.
AWD has N-AWD-4Hi-4Lo.

I know it will work with the transmission and driveshafts I'm just not sure if anything else besides the transfer case would have to be changed like the TCCM, selector switch, actuator, or if any reprogramming is needed in the transmission....

Thanks!

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
I don't know if there the same but i have a 242d for sale.. Came out of 2000 awd quad cab, 4x4, 5.9... 100 bucks and it's yours
:sorry:, won't work, his transfer case is electronic shift-on-the-fly.

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
It should work, you would have to cut a hole in the trans tunnel and run a shift lever for 4WD. The 242 is a better T-case anyways cuz aside from the full-time 4wd option you have 2wd also, which will help mileage.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It should work, you would have to cut a hole in the trans tunnel and run a shift lever for 4WD. The 242 is a better T-case anyways cuz aside from the full-time 4wd option you have 2wd also, which will help mileage.
Changed the 249 full time case in my old 5.2 Grand Cherokee with a 242 and it didn't change the mileage a noticeable amount. Everything still spins in the front end even in 2wd since there are no hubs or axle disconnect system to stop parasitic drag of the front end components.

Cannonball, you may want to check the overall length of your t-case compared the 233. I cant remember if they are the same or if the AWD cases are longer because of the center diff in them. You may have to find a different rear shaft if it is. Front shaft should be the proper length though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the nv233 will directly fit onto your truck they are both electric shift. you will need the front driveshaft too because of difference in length. you can switch the selector knob too but that will not affect how it works, just for looks. they are internally the same. rear shaft from your truck will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts