Dakota Durango Forum banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
...next - preparing the tanks and exhaust -

things are gonna get hot under there and I figured I'd better try to mitigate any heat-related issues now. I wrapped the muffler with a full wrap kit, wrapped the twin inlet tubes with header wrap, and put peel-n-stick heat insulation directly on the tanks -

and now that there's nothing more to work on underneath there...on goes the big up-armored belly cradle -

the bash bars will protect the back halves of the tanks - I just haven't finished them yet...

so...that's where it's at - slow progress...but sure progress

Reactions: Motohead1

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
alright - finally got the engine all buttoned up. Oil pans aren't made from the thickest metal and the chin of big 8-quart Milodon unit I'm using hangs down a bit and I wanted a little somethin' extra down there to help prevent 'unauthorized access' from rogue rocks, logs, Jeeps, etc., so I fabbed up an armored base from 3/16 plate and welded it to the bottom of the pan. Used a deathwheel as my 'poor mans' brake' to scour the fold lines, made the bend(s), and welded back solid - worked great.

...went with this sweet double-side o-ringed windage tray (Summit G-2339) to seal things up (hope it works as good as it looks) and studded the bolt holes -

the d-side front corner of the pan was 'close' to the webbing on the D60 axle so I sectioned off the corner just for good measure...

Next - time to put this dude where it belongs...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
alright - starting' to look like something

Engine's in, and front suspension/axle are in -

Front 60 is all buttoned up and ready to rock, complete with Dana/Spicer 5.38s, Grizzly Locker, Reid knuckles, RCV shafts, Speed House GM brake conversion brackets, Yukon spindles, Warn hubs, and a Crane cover with LubeLocker gasket -

These things are pretty cool to work with -

Welded some armor to the lower kingpin caps hoping to keep from ripping off the zerts -

The GM rotors fit over the Ford hubs from the outside and the wheel holds them in place (OE Ford rotors are held in place on the inside by the wheel studs), and in order for the GM rotors to clear the Ford hubs the outer diameter of the hubs had to be machined down a bit as did the centering race at the WMS. Fortunately Ben was able to chuck up the hubs in his lathe and turn 'em for me, and another nice perk was the fact that the OE GM wheel studs press right into the original Ford holes, so now all the wheel studs are all from the same '02 GM 2500

Speaking of grease, RCV has their own grease, and for the rest I started using Lucas Mining and Construction grease with Moly, which the company says is also good for high-speed/high/heat wheel bearings (disc brake systems), and it's ideal for all metal-to-metal contact points like tie rods and suspension joints, so now all I have to carry is one type of grease

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
...exhaust is finally - finally - done...

too tired to explain everything, but the short version is I added a second muffler, relocated the cutout, and decided not to use header wrap on anything and instead fab'd up two aluminum bolt-on heat shields and am using both muffler wrap and form-a-blanket from DEI. Even got the O2 sensor in place :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
...copied a mod that worked really well on Bud - modified the rear overload to serve as an 'anti-wrap bar': drilled holes, countersunk 45* flat head cap screws, broke the 1" x 3/16" steel strap, cut the excess bolt thread/welded/smoothed the bottom nut so rocks won't rip them off, and viola - anti-wrap bars, especially at max drop (on either side), and the suspension can articulate 'naturally'. The overload itself spreads out the typical wrap inherent with short axle perches, and max drop is just after contact with the bolt sleeves. Plus the straps keep the overloads from 'kicking out'. Plus, as heavy duty as the overload is I'll probably never 'need' bump stops. Anyway it worked great on the last truck which had a ton of low end torque and axle gearing and bigger tires, so I figure it should be just as effective on this truck.

Also, topped off the Atlas with 2.5 quarts of Redline MT-90, and started running the gas tank plumbing.

It's slow progress...but it is forward progress...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
...I'd long wanted to use the OE Dakota 360 air intake hat and air cleaner assembly, and after a careful bit of 'plastic surgery' the id of the hat now fits the Holley throttle body perfectly. Looks like it's supposed to be there, and matches nicely...and I can use the OE port on the back to intake the charcoal canister fumes, just like factory.

here's where I started trimming off the bottom edge, and just went all the way around and it fits like a glove -

I had also thought about using this hi-zoot intake from Extreme Velocity but it just isn't necessary, especially considering this engine is a 800-4500 rpm torque engine and the inlet is the same size on both - 3-inch

Gonna work good...

341 - 346 of 346 Posts