Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying this 01 Durango SLT 4x4 with 53k miles fully loaded. Im going for a test drive thursday or friday and i was wondering what i should look at the most as in problems.I want to have a good idea of what to look for in this so i dont get stuck with something needing work.Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front Upper Ball joints is the biggest problem, to check those jack up the front and grab the tire and attempt to move it up and down, if it moves then the ball joints are shot. Dodges transmissions aren't the most reliable, so pay attention to how it shifts, and also the PCM sometimes spikes out, but it will throw a code if the PCM is on the way out

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
also look and make sure your transfer case isn't leaking. good luck shopping

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, after having my Dakota for almost 2 years i dont think i could buy anything eles then a Durango.I like the looks of both trucks.I just need more room then i have in the kota.I have the club cab but i have my subs back there so there isnt a back seat anymore.Wasnt really much of one anyways but atleast i could fit 1 extra person with me.If anyone eles has something to add go for it.Thanks again for the help

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, i took the Durango for a test drive today.It drives straight runs very well.But i never had a 4x4 before and i was wondering when going from 2wd to HI 4wd are you surpose to hear some noises up front?Im not to sure on how to explain but ill try my best.It wasnt really like a grinding, but you could hear it changing into 4wd then back into 2wd.I was just wondering if this is normal or if something is wrong.

Also, i drove it off the lot in 2wd and stoped while i was on a side road and put it in 4wd LO and it seemed to be very jerky when shifting into 2nd and 3rd.Is this just something normal too?When i put it into 4wd HI it shifted just like it was in 2wd.Im not trying to sound stupid i just dont know anything about a 4x4.If anyone can help me here it would be great.

everything eles seems to be just fine and works great.After my drive i fell in love and i hope i can get it now lol.Just wanted to make sure i liked it and everything since its all this place has that i like.Ill leave a list at the bottom of every option it has so you guys can let me know what you think.And thanks for any help you can give me.

2001 Durango 4x4 54,000miles for $16,000
Leather
Dual power seats
Heated front seats
Full power
Rear air and heat with rear controls
3rd row seat
Running boards
Towing package
CD and Cass radio
Infinity sound
and thats all i can think of for now.Just let me know what you guys think of it.Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please tell me you didn't drive that in 4wd on dry pavement, because that is the easiest way to grenade a Transfer Case. The part-time 4wd system actually needs tire slippage when going around turns in order for it stay alive.

Now back to the questions, as far as hearing a noise, yes I hear a noise when I shift into 4 hi, that's the T-Case engaging. As far as the tranny shifting in 4-Lo, I don't know, I've never gone out of 1st gear while in 4-Lo, and I've only used it a couple of times in a mud pit, and while going through a good sized puddle. 4-hi is almost exactly the same as 2wd except that the front axles are getting power as well, so the tranny is going to react the same

·
Likes More Power!
282 Posts
Price is about right for the model/equipment/miles

I bought a 2001 R/T today w/ 22K miles for $17,900. Be sure to run a Carfax on it & ask if there was any repaired collision damage- I encountered several R/Ts with these problems before finding the right truck at the right price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts