Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, where is it located on the car and does anyone have a part number for it?
Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. In the tank? wow...so I guess it isnt a part of routine maintenance then, only if the pump goes?

·
Registered
331 Posts
yeah I have noticed that most of the later model Dodge/Chrysler rides are like that had fun dropping the tank on a friends 97 Ram last year to replace the fuel pump

·
adicted to GT4
273 Posts
Mr-SXT said:
yeah I have noticed that most of the later model Dodge/Chrysler rides are like that had fun dropping the tank on a friends 97 Ram last year to replace the fuel pump
most later model cars are like that (had to help drop the tank and replace one on a chevy truck as well)

·
Registered
94 Posts
The information I got on the filter is it is maintenance free and should only need to be changed when the pump goes out... That seems like a bad design since a plugged up filter probably burned out the pump.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
most filters and pumps are in the tank on late model vehicles for 2 reasons. 1) easier/cheaper to manufacturer and assemble the parts and 2) no one uses metal tanks anymore, so rust and debris clogging fuel lines are pretty much a thing of the past so the filter doesnt need to be a serviceable part anymore. if youre having issues with it running poorly, then either its something else causing the issues or there is crap in the tank from you filling it up. there is nothing inside plastic fuel tanks anymore that will clog a pump, it has to have been introduced into the tank either from when you fill it with gas or if the pump unit seal on top of the tank has been messed with previously and its not seated, allowing dirt to drop into the tank.

how is it acting up, first of all? hesitates under load? doesnt idle? wont run at all? go pick up a fuel pressure tester for $50 and see what youve got. 62 psi sticks in my head for some reason, but dont quote me on that. ive also been told that whatever the spec is, it doesnt take much difference in PSI to make these engines act up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
most later model cars are like that (had to help drop the tank and replace one on a chevy truck as well)
The only expirience I have with chevy fuel filters is on LT1's and 5.0/5.7 vortec motors which are on the framerail. Maybe the new LS style engine got moved to the tank??? :huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts