Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found out i need a new motor for my 01 Dakota ... any suggestions im trying to keep the motor stock size 4.7L...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What happened to the original engine?

Check out a boneyard or two and get some pricing. Remember to watch out for the tonewheel, you have a 16 tooth. While it can be changed you have to pull the crank to do it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How much does that cost?
Replacement engine, labor, etc?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cylinder 1 dropped the valve seat and messed up everything in that cylinder... i just now removed the right bank and found that 3 of its cylinders where in the process of failing just like cylinder 1 on the left bank .. so now im on the hunt for either cheap heads so i can rebuild this block or a refurb engine with zero miles for the right price and so far they all seem to be costing above $2200 which is the cheapest price ive found so far .. the pics are of the left bank cyl 1 and piston

Attachments

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Cylinder 1 dropped the valve seat when it overheated. That cylinder has been steam cleaned.

Both heads are likely warped too.

Check a boneyard. Remember the tone ring issue. You have JTEC controller so if you find a truck with a 3 prong PCM you're good.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Your PCM. 3 connectors is JTEC. Later models use a NGC model with 4 connectors.

JTEC engines use a 16 tooth tonewheel and NGC use a 32 tooth tone ring. They are not compatible.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If the engine is in the truck it's easy. Look at the PCM.

If the engine/pcm has been removed, the RH cam sprocket will be stamped NGC. There is no marking on the JTEC version.

Lots of threads on this.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You can see it with the bolt in. It's stamped into the outside steel portion that has the windows for the camshaft position sensor to read.

It's on the top of the image I sent.

Remember, it's on the RH, passenger side, cam, and I can't stress this enough -

you DO NOT WANT TO SEE IT on a replacement engine.

Your failed engine will NOT have it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It really isn't that important on your old engine. We know it is JTEC and has a 16 tooth tone ring.

They started to change in '02. That's why you need to be careful of the engine you get.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You DO NOT have a NGC motor.

Sorry, I'm not sure where to buy a rebuild kit but if I did it wouldn't be from Ebay.

Check out places online.

"Cheap heads" will likely need to be rebuilt/surfaced as well.

Check out a boneyard for an engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts