Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 4.7 4wd Sport MANUAL 5 speed
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Over the years I’ve had a lot of problems with this system, have replaced computers and motors. Latest problem, it just put itself in 4 low and won’t come out. New motor, new computer. You ca; hear the motor trying! It clicks and tries 3 times, with both motors. I tried just running with the 4x4 motor out, but no transmission then. I can manually move the transfer case. It’s a little stiff, but it works.

So I’m tired of this.

Any ideas what I need? New transfer case?
Has anyone disengages their 4wd? Can I just remove the front driveshafts? I don’t need the 4wd, but I do need my truck to run.
Any advice appreciated.
YD

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
381 Posts
If it's at all stiff, the motor won't have enough torque to move it. I'd deal with the transfer case, probably need rebuilding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I agree. The 9/16” nub in the transfer case is stiff. I need the truck now, so got a good motor, and with just the wires attached set it to 2wd. Then turned the transfer case nub with a wrench til it lined up with the motor. Bolted it up and I have a functional truck. I need to safety wire the switch to 2wd and hope the computer doesn’t switch it. At least I know I can get it to run with a 10mm socket and a 9/16” wrench.
once I’m moved I’ll pull the trans case out.
thanks for the input. It helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi folks,
Over the years I’ve had a lot of problems with this system, have replaced computers and motors. Latest problem, it just put itself in 4 low and won’t come out. New motor, new computer. You ca; hear the motor trying! It clicks and tries 3 times, with both motors. I tried just running with the 4x4 motor out, but no transmission then. I can manually move the transfer case. It’s a little stiff, but it works.

So I’m tired of this.

Any ideas what I need? New transfer case?
Has anyone disengages their 4wd? Can I just remove the front driveshafts? I don’t need the 4wd, but I do need my truck to run.
Any advice appreciated.
YD
Here’s what I did:

Okay guys I finally got tired of fooling around with TCCM, CCM, and flashes that dealers can no longer do.
Just the whole electric shift controls altogether.

First off do this at your own risk!

Cut the two wires on the connector that is plugged into the Transfer Case shift motor and cap off the two wires coming from the computer.
You will now need two wires long enough to go from the shift motor along the frame, thru the firewall and to the dash. I used trailer wiring.
You will also need a long piece of wire loom and zip ties, connectors and electrical tape.
Remove the fuse in the engine bay 4 WD.
Place the wiring into the loom.
Using connectors connect the two wires to the wires on the shift motor.
Tape them up good, run the wire loom with wire along the drivers side frame rail tying it securely with zip ties keeping it away from drive shaft and exhaust. There is a grommet near the steering shaft in the firewall that makes a good place to get thru.
Remove the 4WD switch from the dash and take the electronics and knob off. You will need a Momentary/Off/ Momentary reverse polarity switch.

When you remove the switch you will need to remove part of the back of the switch panel to allow the switch to set flush against the back.
You will also need to run a 12V and ground from the fuse panel to the switch also.
I fused it at 30 amps in one of the spare fuse slots. Make sure the power goes off this fuse when switch is off.
Hook two of the wires coming from the motor to one side of the switch and the one for power and ground to the other side.
Note you are going to get aService 4wd light. Ignore it.
Place your switch into the original switch plate and reconnect back into dash. Note: you will no longer use the switch plug. Just push it back into the dash.
Important:
Always have the shift selection for the transmission or on a manual transmission in neutral and setting still!
Using the 4wd switch while moving could damage your transmission.
Also have the engine at idle.
You will have to experiment with the switch to determine what works best when shifting. A quick on off on the switch will shift the transfer case motor either to 4wd low,4wd high or 2wd.
Once you get use to it you will soon get used to listing to the little clunk when it shifts and also feel especially on solid turf if your in or out of 4wd.
Of course if the engine is reviving high rpm when moving you are in 4wd low.

Caution: I placed a Race car type cover over the toggle switch so the toggle could not be easily hit or switched accidentally.

Any questions please let me know.

If you are not mechanically and electronically capable please do not attempt this on your own.

Once again: Do this at your own risk.

I am not responsible for damage or results connected to this modification

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rr,

That’s great info. I moved to AR but left the Dakota at a neighbor’s in VA. I just got a load of stuff, checked the truck, and yup, it had switched itself into some in between 4wd, with the switch never leaving 2 wd.
Anyway, I’m going to tow that truck back to AR on a dolly with my “new” 2006 Dak. I’ll try your fix before I leave. The manual transmission v8 pickup was rare in 2001, probably impossible to find now, and I’d never buy a new truck anyway. The only significant problem I’ve had with the truck is a bad rear dif and endless trouble with the 4wd. I had nightmares of replacing the transfer case and still having the same issue. I’d looked into making up a manual shifter, but feared electronic revenge. I’ll put some tape over the svc 4wd light and be happy.
Thanks for the post. I’m going back to VA in a few weeks and will let you know how it works out.
Peace
Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Rr,

That’s great info. I moved to AR but left the Dakota at a neighbor’s in VA. I just got a load of stuff, checked the truck, and yup, it had switched itself into some in between 4wd, with the switch never leaving 2 wd.
Anyway, I’m going to tow that truck back to AR on a dolly with my “new” 2006 Dak. I’ll try your fix before I leave. The manual transmission v8 pickup was rare in 2001, probably impossible to find now, and I’d never buy a new truck anyway. The only significant problem I’ve had with the truck is a bad rear dif and endless trouble with the 4wd. I had nightmares of replacing the transfer case and still having the same issue. I’d looked into making up a manual shifter, but feared electronic revenge. I’ll put some tape over the svc 4wd light and be happy.
Thanks for the post. I’m going back to VA in a few weeks and will let you know how it works out.
Peace
Doug
Hey Doug

Towing with a dolly.
Make sure you have the transmission and transfer case in neutral.
In fact I would probably remove the drive shaft at the rear and either remove it or securely strap it up out of the way.
This will eliminate and unnecessary issues with the transfer case.
My 4wd shift conversion is working great.
I just have to make sure it’s in 2wd and not 4wd high at times.
It’s easy to tell on hard top road because of the labored steering but gravel not so much.

As for towing it.
Keep your tow vehicle out or Overdrive.
The overdrive gear is not set up for heavy loads.
In fact I think it is a nonmetallic gear.
Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rr,

I ordered a switch on amazon and have plenty of trailer wire. Does you tc stay in the selected position? I don’t expect to use 4wd more than a few time a month, but sure is handy when needed.

I’m going to just remove the driveshaft. The little switch has never reliably put it in N, and I’ll have bypassed it anyway. The New Dak has a “towing and hauling” selection, and with the magnum 4.7 it’s pretty strong. It’s a new junkyard motor with 104000 on it and sounds great. Too bad I’ll need to sell it. I need to buy a house out here and rh divorce took all the cash. Still have my guitars and tools though.
Anyhoo, thanks for the info. I really love that 01 Dak. Ordered from the factory with manual everything (I was already tired of window motors) and it’s been with me for 20 years. The only concern was that electric 4wd switch and I was right to be concerned. It’s terrible.
I’m heading back to VA end of month, and I’ll let you know how it goes.
Be Cool,
Doug

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven’t had any problems thus far with the TC staying in gear.
Just make sure your transmission is in neutral and at an idle.
I have had a couple of transfer case neutral selects and forgot to let the engine come totally down to idle. That did cause a clunk shifting into low 4wd.

I grew up in Va. The western part of the state.
I also play guitar and other instruments.
As for my 2001.
We got the first 2001 to get shipped to NC.
I ordered it with crank windows, heavy duty cooling package and 16” wheels and tires.
Only comfort items was AC and cruise.
Had I known it was coming with electronic 4wd shift I would have found a 2000 model. I hate the electronics and being a retired mechanic I knew to well the problems with electric windows etc.
One other thing I would have done differently was to stay away from the automatic transmission.
I found out that the planetary gears were junk from the factory.
Had it rebuilt with heavy duty everything and no problems. Have put 130000 miles on the tranny.
Expect to replace the front calipers.
In fact if you tow much go ahead and buy a set of Power Stop rotors and save yourself the warped stock rotor mess.

Hope this is all helpful and please keep me informed on your progress.
Good luck on your move and new life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s funny. I clearly remember talking to the dealer rep and wanting one with the mechanical 4wd selector but I insisted on manual transmission. They found a 2000, but the color was weird (not black) and it had the 318. I wanted a the more modern 4.7.
It’s been a great truck but for that 4wd selector. Oh yeah, and it’s got an odd rear diff that went bad and was hard to find even used. If it goes again I’ll have it rebuilt. And it also has the small front rotors, but they’ve done fine, and I towed a 24’ camper 5000 miles.
I was able to retire from the state early and taught myself to make guitars. It’s been fun. It’s harder to play, but I’m getting better.
Thanks for the advice etc.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts