Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im trying to figure out whats my best bet. bring it to have it rebuilt to stock, get another 4.7 and throw it in ... or swap in a different engine. being as how i cant leave anything alone id like to swap in something else, but dont want a huge headache. any good easy swaps out there ? cant find a used 4.7 for under 1500 bucks.... but i can find hemis all day long for same price. just wanted to know what im getting into being as i just bought the truck .. thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted a post like this over at jeeps unlimited everyone said to keep your 4.7. Put a reman back in or rebuild the 4.7. I wanted put in a 5.2 I can buy a whole zj for 500 but everyone said trying to intergrate the two is way to difficult it can be done there is proof but their is just so much work envolved in the swap. So I am thinking about putting in a crankshaft kit to fix my rod knock and drive it has it is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It is possible like everything else. But why go through the hassle when you can get a nice motor for around a grand?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
318 swap would be absolutely stupid. A step back in time...

You'd have to swap transmissions as well if you wanted to swap in a 318.

It'd be far less work to swap a 5.7 Hemi in your 4.7 truck than it would to swap to a 318/360.

Hemi swap requirements for your truck: Fabbed motor mounts. Fabbed/modified oil pan. Wiring...rather involved wiring.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree. Don't go to the 5.2, I considered it since I had one and I am glad I stuck it out with the 4.7. It is a good motor, just take your time and hook everything up right. If you are going to swap tone rings you can get one for under $1000 I would say. Definately your cheapest option.

Swapping the hemi in will involve some fabrication.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts