Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Durango with 4.7. I did an oil change yesterday and drove about 10 miles, got out and left it idling for about 5 mins. When I got back in it died. It will not fire up unless I hold the pedal to the floor and then its barely running and running verry rough. It was time for a tune up so I said what the heck and put a set of plugs in it. When I pulled the plugs they were wet with fuel. The plugs didn't fix the problem. Is there anything that I should be looking for test. I would likie to get it fixed without having to have it towed. Would a crankshaft position sensor cause this? No codes as it wont run long enough to throw one.
Thanks,
Mike

·
JDKSXT03
84 Posts
sounds like it could be a crank pos sensor or a cam pos sensor. Either one would cause the "no spark" condition, which is what it sounds like since your plugs are wet with fuel. Luckily those two sensors are not too bad, if you can narrow it down to one. Also, could be your Automatic shutdown relay is bad, check that. Even try the ASD little solenoid or whatever it is located on your passenger side fender well under the PCM. Make sure its grounded well. Well on second thought, check all the grounds. There is one right behind the passenger side headlight, one behind the battery, one under the drivers side motor mount, one under the passenger side motor mount and one near your drivers side upper control arm. Believe me I just did a motor swap on my truck, I know where all the grounds are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to test the camshaft or the crankshaft sensor? I would like to be able to repair it with out just replacing parts. What is the Automatic shutdown relay and where is it located?
Thanks.

·
JDKSXT03
84 Posts
Yea I think you can test them with a voltimeter or something, but you will have to know what your looking for in your readings. I don't know off the top of my head, but you can get FSM's online and try to figure it out. The ASD relay if I remember correctly is in the underhood fuse box. Probably labeled as engine relay or something

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
If the ASD relay was bad, the injectors wouldn't be operating. How are the plugs getting wet with fuel if the ASD is bad?

·
JDKSXT03
84 Posts
Thats a good point, didn't think of it that way. I forgot it did the injectors and coils.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll start with the crankshaft position sensor then go to the camshaft sensor. Is there a way to check either of these if the truck is not running?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Did you check to see if there is any spark at the spark plug when you try to start it up? That would be the second thing I'd check (other then the condition of the spark plugs). Check each plug to make sure they are actually sparking. Of course make sure they are clean and dry before doing it, you don't want them catching on fire from the gas. Good luck...

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
I'll start with the crankshaft position sensor then go to the camshaft sensor. Is there a way to check either of these if the truck is not running?
there is no way to check them with out replacing them. I found this out when i was messing with mine. Also the dealership told me the same. they are pretty pricey from the dealer, so i would try to get them online. Also what part of VA ya in?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes they are very easy to check even if the engine isn't running but unless you have a labscope you can't effectively check them. The gray/black wire coming out of the crank sensor is the signal wire, basically you are looking for a voltage fluctuation on that wire while the engine is cranking, problem is that if you try to use a multimeter to look for it it may happen faster than the multimeter is capable of seeing so you really need a labscope.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Have you checked the oil level? What else did you do when you changed the oil? If it only made it 10 miles after it's likely you did something to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found out I have multiple issues after towing it home. First off the minor issue, I replaced both the cam and the crank sensor and got it running again, well kind of. I also found out that I have a blown head gasket or a warped/cracked head. It'll run but very rough and getting suction on the tailpipe. There is no antifreeze in the oil or vice versa. I really hate to sink alot of money into it as its actually my wife's and she been wanting something else for a while, I guess now is her chance. I'm located between Martinsville and Danville.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could this just be that my timing is off? If i replaced both my crank and cam sensors at the same time is there anything that i need to do for the comp to relearn anything?
Thanks

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
could this just be that my timing is off? If i replaced both my crank and cam sensors at the same time is there anything that i need to do for the comp to relearn anything?
Thanks
the PCM should auto relearn, but if you bring it to the dealership they can force the relearn but its going to cost you about $100

1 - 19 of 19 Posts