Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone with a 01-04 dak/durango painted their dash? Im mainly talking about the main piece that goes around the radio and the gauges. Going to paint mine next week and was wonderin if anyone had some pics.

:Note: i plan on puting a lot more black into the interior so it isnt anywhere near complete yet

Here's what i have done so far.

G

·
wicked r/t i painted the dash in my '01 and it was pretty easy. i could have some pics by this weekend if you want some. if you have any questions i'd be glad to help.

lando

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dashes

I also painted mine white. Sanded the dask smooth, put some white and some clear on it. Looks good. I'm also working on doing the rest of the dash, just recieved the rest of the pieces about a week ago.

Later,

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dashes

Thanks for the comments. Mine is all sanding, but I did cheat a little. I was ebay and found a 01 dash for my D. It was tan with the wood grain around the raound (was already smooth). Filler would prbable be ok, but it would probable crack the next time you took the dash off. Also, when you go to paint it, watch out for how much paint you use, I have some very minor spider webbing because I have like 3 coats of pimer (sanded), 6 coats of white, and like another 6 of clear. Just to show that anyone can do this, all the paint is Krylon for Wal-Mart (just the best can you can buy, don't be a cheap skate). If you have anymore questions, I can try to help.

Later,

G

·
You dont wanna start out to low u may make scratches that wont go away. start out kinda high and if u think u can go lower go ahead. i sanded my sunfire console down i had the baby so smooth water beaded off the primer

·
Registered
112 Posts
WicKed R/T D, just one more question, what grit sand paper should i start out with?
Wicked,

If you have a really textured dash, I would start with 180 to help get it off. I had a bucket of soap water sitting next to me also, and would continously dunk the sand paper in water. This will help it sand smoother. After you get a good bit of the texture gone, pic up a variety pack with 220, 320, etc and start working your way down. You will know when it you can lay that first coat of primer. Good luck.

Later,

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am in the process of doing mine, I did the top so far in ash/silver leather, and the console in black leather. Only thing I painted so far were the air vents. (ALSO DO NOT PAINT YOU AIRBAG - IF IT GOES OFF IT WILL SHOOT PIECES OF PAINT CHIPS OUT) I will get some pics up next week when I get some time.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it took a long time just to sand the texture down. Once i did that i brought it up to about a 600 grit wet/dry paper then sprayed on primer. Did 800 on primer, more primer, 1000grit, then a couple coats of true blue. Then wet sanded with 1000 grit until it was really smooth, and shot on a few coats of clear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.