Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 00" durango and im looking to put 55W HID fog lights in it. But i have heard that you can't put 55W in the housing it will melt the housing. I want some ideas and input on inforamation about the 55W fog lights. Any information you have please share it.
I also found 50W HID do they get just as hot or what?

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
just do a 35 watt kitt in the housings, and 55 watt in the headlights.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
What colors in each. 55watt HIDs look like the lower colors. IE, 55watt 8000k looks like a 35watt 6000k

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
LEDs wont melt the housings. They light and dont emit nearly any heat. I have LEDs everywhere, but for a fog light housing they dont emit enough light for usage. HIDs are the best option, but the 55 watt HID will melt a housing. It burns too hot

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
35 watt in the fog light housing works better than fine. I can use them for driving at night with out headlights. I use them more than headlights. When I really want the power of my front end, I turn on the heads and 4 Hellas I have. But yes, 35 is plenty enough for the fog light housing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 00" durango and im looking to put 55W HID fog lights in it. But i have heard that you can't put 55W in the housing it will melt the housing. I want some ideas and input on inforamation about the 55W fog lights. Any information you have please share it.
I also found 50W hid kits do they get just as hot or what?
hello friend how many watts light did you use? 55W or 35W? Even I am looking to get new fog lights will you prefer HID or some other for? Waiting for reply:wave::wave:

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
hello friend how many watts light did you use? 55W or 35W? Even I am looking to get new fog lights will you prefer HID or some other for? Waiting for reply:wave::wave:
if your only doing fog lights, then get a nice white colored bul like go recon sells or something of the sort, but if your changing out head bulbs and fog bulbs, Id go HID. SO much light. People on here dont like the idea of them in reflector housing without projector retrofits, but i prefer both styles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
just do a 35 watt kitt in the housings, and 55 watt in the headlights.
This is what I have in HID of course. My headlight housing is kind of tinted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're planning to put HID on your foglights, it would be a great idea to add aux switch so you can turn them on without turning on the runner lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm running 55W HID headlamps in conjunction with 35W fogs, and it is plenty of light. Sometimes I think the fogs are brighter than the headlights! But it literally turns the night into day. I'm looking at adding some LED pods to the front bumper to act as high beams

·
Registered
385 Posts
Brighter doesn't mean better. The light is useless without it going to the right places, which it sure as hell isn't with pnp hids. All that light up closer to the hoodline is just making your distance vision worse, not to mention it's blinding the shit out of other drivers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's not nearly as bad then. The beam patterns from those aren't the best, but it's light years above hids in the stock headlights. They won't blind people as badly either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's really not that bad. I rarely if ever get flashed at these days. I've found that the HID setup is great, but I still need some kind of high beam. I can light up the markers for a couple hundred feet on the road, same thing with road signs, but a high beam of sorts would be even better. So I got some LED lights that are coming in soon, going to wire them up into the lower part of the bumper and either tap into the high beam switch or just wire another switch into the dash to be able to turn them on/off at will

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had bought a light bar that I wanted to fit behind the grille a while back (still trying to decide what to do with it). I had gotten a single pole double throw switch so that I could have it off, on with high beams, or on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 21" led bar in the bottom grill ( between the fogs lights in the lower bumper) and have it on a on-off-on switch. The top on spot is a key on hot so when ever i have the truck running the light bar is on but when i turn the truck off the light bar goes off. Middle is just off. The lower on position is hot all the time so if i needed some light in the front of my truck i can have the light bar on with out a key in the truck. I also have a led headlight kit in the stock headlights and they are sweet, now just to get some fog lights..... I have the factory wiring and put a relay in the box plus bought a new headlight switch with the pull out fogs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts