Dakota Durango Forum banner

Transmission question. 2003 durango 4.7

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WestCoastKevin 
#1 ·
what trans does the 03 4.7 Durango have? is it the 45rfe or the 545rfe? I'm also thinking of getting a tune-up done on it, as its last tune-up was at 120k and is now at 295k. I'm curious if I should have a tune-up done on it while I have the engine pulled out for a rebuild. is there any symptoms of loose transmission bands ect? I don't want to spend the money if I don't want to. also, what is normal operation for the transmission, and what speeds should it shift into other gears. and how long it should take? I notice some shifts seem to be slow but that could be me. any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
*blinks*

Dude.

If they DON'T put in new plugs, and I'd expect COPs or coil packs, on a rebuild, they're not rebuilding the motor.

Unless you mean a tune-up on the transmission.

And as I understand it, they're the same transmission mechanically, it's the ECU that determines.

I'd get the transmission serviced (fluid, filter, bands adjusted) as the motor is out also.

RwP

#4 ·
The rebuild kit for the transmissions are the same whether it’s a 45 or 545 trans. There are no bands in these. Steels and clutches only. I’d recommend Red Alto Clutches.

#5 ·
There are a few known failure points on that trans.
The TCC accumulator spring is one. Be sure that gets replaced/upgraded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.