Dakota Durango Forum banner

Poor fuel economy no power

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  radioactive 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 97 with a v6
The truck was driving fine the other day and all of a sudden I took off from a dead stop and the truck won’t go over 25. No spitting or sputtering and the only way you can get to 25 is the throttle pedal pressed to the floor. Truck starts fine. At idle and it in park it will only rev to 3000. Has any had this problem before. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Definitely could be a clogged cat, mine was a distributor/rotor/timing chain issue as it jumped a tooth when the same symptoms for me happened...sluggish, poor gas mileage...terrible idle. But mine also was accompanied by backfiring. I just made sure I was tdc and replaced the cap, rotor, and plug wires. Been fine ever since

#5 ·
Well when I was changing the o2 sensor 2 of the 4 wires broken in half and the other two were bare. I fixed them and it seems to be fine. Than I took it to the smog shop and it failed. Gross polluter, gas cap, fuel evap system. The cat was bad which has now been fixed. Looks like I need to figure out the evap system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
A leaky evap system won't affect driveability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.