Dakota Durango Forum banner

HID vs LED (dakota 97-2004)

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  hskrRT 
#1 ·
#3 ·
so I need to buy the Projector lense then to get the maximum lighting? Also do you have any HID kits that you can recommend?

Thanks for the reply

#8 ·
D2S HIDs

These were all the pictures that I could scrounge up... I had a lot more that I took when I was putting everything all together, but switched phones since then and this is all that seemed to been saved. Like I said, it was a tight fit. But just take it slow with the dremel and trim, trim, trim.

Wiring wise it was super easy, and I'm next to illiterate when it comes to electricity.

Let me know if the pictures come through, not sure if I attached them correctly.

Attachments

#12 ·
the more I do research on this topic the more that I am finding that HID projectors are harder to install and more expensive but have the best light (55w) but LED use generic housings and are pretty close to the (35w) projector but cheaper and easy to install. Does anyone have any LED experience that could shed some light (bad pun) on this matter of LEDs?

#14 ·
Then your research would have revealed that most places recommend 35W HIDs for reliability. Much like when installing higher wattage halogen bulbs, when you use the 55W HIDs reliability and life goes down. Also, anything higher than 6000K color reduces light output and only changes the color.

AFAIK, there are zero available led housings available for our trucks.

#13 ·
I had a set of LED bulbs installed in the stock lens housing and they were absolutely awful. The light output was terrible and the high-beam mode was non-existent. That being said, they were really cheap LED bulbs.

I did install a better set of LED bulbs in yellow for the fog lights and they are fantastic. I got some Stark APX 72W Yellow bulbs from Amazon:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BSHQ4R/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

For the headlights, I've now switched to HID bulbs with the hi/lo relay module and ballast. I purchased the kit from Diode Dynamics and the lights are great. I also replaced the stock housing with a similar one to the one that Turbojeep posted pictures of above. I went with the SPPC Crystal Headlights from Amazon as well:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JBIA70K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I do enjoy the look of the housing, but the light output is a little odd. I do think the projector mod would make a wonderful difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.