General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

post #1 of 13 Old 04-04-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 5.2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Durango R/T seats swap and question

I recently swapped driver and passenger seats from an 01 Durango R/T into a 99 Dakota. My Dakota had the 3 person bench seat stock. I also had to find a console from a Dakota with the other style seats. The front bolts from the Durango seat line up perfectly but the rear bolts don’t quite line up. Instead of drilling into floor I decided to make a bracket that bolts into the stock holes and allows me to bolt seats to the bracket. My truck didn’t have power seats from the factory, despite it being an SLT so I ended up creating my own wire harness for both seats which works flawlessly. If you want to do this swap or something similar make sure to take the connectors from the donor vehicle. The seats are also heated, but I haven’t hooked the heaters up yet as I live in Florida and have no need for them. I also can’t find much info on how the heater works and how to control the heater so I don’t think I will end up hooking them up. (Insight appreciated) I’ve included photos of the swap and my bracket. If anyone else with the R/T seats knows if there is a good way to fix the pilling pictured on the drivers seat I’d love to know. Also, does anyone else with Durango seats have an issue with the seats sliding back and forth when they aren’t all the way back? It doesn’t bother me much because mine are always back as far as they go, just something I noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4F9A165A-99DC-4BDF-80A0-4E22C71ED9CE_1554417536390.jpg (91.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 28171D4D-9E2B-46E3-849F-185545DE63FD_1554417575992.jpg (92.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg EA6A8AAB-00C6-429A-B4F9-21FEA1120B16_1554417743687.jpg (98.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 729888BE-3CC2-4124-9760-9DA132A5D38B_1554417762114.jpg (98.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg F42CF8BC-F1E4-43F3-930F-5023B1091B4A_1554417790197.jpg (54.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 6F8CFC32-156A-4554-ABEF-EA5A9F6D1ECF_1554417804582.jpg (42.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 381F5DE5-D09A-417E-A3EC-E6F7992E971A_1554417820409.jpg (99.1 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 12:43 AM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

I believe there are at least two different seat frames used in the various Dakotas and Durangos. I did a cab swap, replacing my rusted out 99 club cab for an 01 quad cab. I decided to keep the seats from the 99 as they were in better shape and reclined almost flat as compared to the seats in the quad cab, which for some reason didn't recline at all. To do the seat swap, I had to remove the seat frames from the 01 seats and bolt them to the 99 seats, because the 99 seat frames didn't work…My guess, the floor has a different shape just behind the seats. One other thing, that qc didn't have power seats (neither did my 99) but I did find that the harness for power seats were present under the carpet on the quad cab

BTW love the seats. I wish I could find a good set of leather seats, like those. Like you, I also live in Florida and I could never find a good pair because the sun destroys them.

Ed

6BT, 3200GSK, M&H#3, W/A IC, 5X.012, AirDog100, HE351.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Appreciate the response Ed. That’s interesting how they left the harness under the carpet on your quad cab. Maybe they started doing that after the 99s? Also, that sounds like a pretty ambitious cab swap. Run into many problems? I couldn’t believe it when I found the R/T in the scrap yard. The interior was perfect, even the rows behind my seats. It even had the battery hooked up and would crank. I tried really hard to get the guy to let me buy it but he insisted on parting it out. A year later I ended up taking the 5.9 out of it and the seats. Would’ve taken the wheels too but they weren’t the ones I expected to be on it. If anyone is interested in the second and third row seats they’re still in the Durango. It’s North Brevard Auto Salvage, red Durango R/T.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-05-2019, 10:22 PM
RXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDakota View Post
Appreciate the response Ed. That’s interesting how they left the harness under the carpet on your quad cab. Maybe they started doing that after the 99s?
I don't recall it on the 99 cab before it was scrapped…I never bothered to take up the carpet. But the harness was definitely in the 01, and it's still there.

Quote:
Also, that sounds like a pretty ambitious cab swap. Run into many problems?
Not really, just time consuming. I had to swap out the dash, everything under the dash and all the harnesses. Only problem I had was I accidentally threw away the 99 interior harnesses (Dome light, brake and courtesy light, and chime) thinking the 01 interior harness would work (It doesn't)

Other than that, I had to move two body mounts on the frame and fab up two more (The extended cab uses 4 body mounting points, the QC uses 6)

Yes, I'd say it was pretty ambitious, so was the solid axle swap and Cummins swap, too.

Quote:
I couldn’t believe it when I found the R/T in the scrap yard. The interior was perfect, even the rows behind my seats. It even had the battery hooked up and would crank. I tried really hard to get the guy to let me buy it but he insisted on parting it out. A year later I ended up taking the 5.9 out of it and the seats. Would’ve taken the wheels too but they weren’t the ones I expected to be on it. If anyone is interested in the second and third row seats they’re still in the Durango. It’s North Brevard Auto Salvage, red Durango R/T.
The seats I currently have are in good shape, but they are cloth. I'm not looking but if I find a pair of nice leather, and I have the funds, I'll get them….I also hope I could grab a pair of rear seats. The Durango ones won't work OTOH, if I can afford it I might just have all the seats reupholstered in wetsuit material or some other water proof material

Ed

post #5 of 13 Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Wow, your build sounds amazing! Do you have a thread on it? And yeah, custom upholstery sounds like the way to go. I don’t see qcs very often in the yard, especially ones with decent interiors. SAS is the next move I want to do with mine. Did you end up doing leaf springs or making your own setup similar to the 2nd gen rams? Hate to get too off topic but what I want to do is use 2500/3500 axles front and back but adapt the fronts to accept leaf springs and go that route. Only issue I’ve heard with doing that is how far the axles stick out but that doesn’t much bother me.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-06-2019, 01:52 AM
RXT

Yup I have a thread on it here;

https://www.dakota-durango.com/forum...d.php?t=454514

I didn't do leaf springs in the front. When I got the axle (from a 98 Ram) I took the coils too. We used them and I had a pair of radius arms built…Pics are in the link

The axle doesn't stick out that much and you could use offset rims to tuck the tires under the fenders if you want. With the amount of lift this truck has, it's best to go wide too and fortunately, Florida doesn't require fender flares or mud flaps.

Ed

post #7 of 13 Old 04-06-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
Yup I have a thread on it here;

https://www.dakota-durango.com/forum...d.php?t=454514

I didn't do leaf springs in the front. When I got the axle (from a 98 Ram) I took the coils too. We used them and I had a pair of radius arms built…Pics are in the link

The axle doesn't stick out that much and you could use offset rims to tuck the tires under the fenders if you want. With the amount of lift this truck has, it's best to go wide too and fortunately, Florida doesn't require fender flares or mud flaps.

Ed
Really like every aspect of the build. Thanks for further inspiring me to do my SAS!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 12:52 AM
Joe Marotta

I'm glad you guys posted this seat swap. My 99 Durango drivers seat is shot, having it reworked for 155.00 made it worst. I want to swap the second generation Durango,"2000and up", seats with my 99.
It's a bit unclear but it looks like you guys did similar swaps so perhaps it might work.
My problem is all of my height is in my torso, and even with my pwr seats I can barely get it low enough.
Many vehicles I can't drive.
Does anybody by chance know if I'll have at least as low seat position with the 2000 and up front Durango seats as my crappy 99.??
Thanks.��
post #9 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marotta View Post
I'm glad you guys posted this seat swap. My 99 Durango drivers seat is shot, having it reworked for 155.00 made it worst. I want to swap the second generation Durango,"2000and up", seats with my 99.
It's a bit unclear but it looks like you guys did similar swaps so perhaps it might work.
My problem is all of my height is in my torso, and even with my pwr seats I can barely get it low enough.
Many vehicles I can't drive.
Does anybody by chance know if I'll have at least as low seat position with the 2000 and up front Durango seats as my crappy 99.??
Thanks.��
The seat from this particular Durango sat about 2-3 inches higher than my original Dakota seats. If you’re looking to sit lower then I would definitely recommend looking into the Dakota seats from around 99. They will fit with a Durango center console. Only thing that May be different is the rear bolt mounts but the front mounts will be the same. It wouldn’t be hard at all to adapt the rear mounts though, it took me less than a day and I did it the hard way. I’m 6’2 though and I can still make the Durango seats work, but I wouldn’t mind them being around 3 inches lower. Hope this helps Joe.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Joe Marotta

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDakota View Post
The seat from this particular Durango sat about 2-3 inches higher than my original Dakota seats. If you’re looking to sit lower then I would definitely recommend looking into the Dakota seats from around 99. They will fit with a Durango center console. Only thing that May be different is the rear bolt mounts but the front mounts will be the same. It wouldn’t be hard at all to adapt the rear mounts though, it took me less than a day and I did it the hard way. I’m 6’2 though and I can still make the Durango seats work, but I wouldn’t mind them being around 3 inches lower. Hope this helps Joe.
Appreciate the reply, and yes that helps a lot. I'll look for a 99 Dakota or one of the first generation style. I don't know why these Durango seats are configured for short torso folks, it sure aggravates me to no end. There is nothing you can do with them, even cutting the lower frame of the seat and cutting some metal out then re-welding it back together wouldn't work, cus the motor and tracks would be up against the floor. Sure glad I saw that before putting the effort into all that.
Thanks buddy..
post #11 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Joe Marotta

Good looking Ram. Wish I had one like it.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Joe Marotta

Good looking silver Dakota. I thought it was a ram at first. Awesome front bumper. Did you do something for the rear bumper also?
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2019, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
DirtyDakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Marotta View Post
Good looking silver Dakota. I thought it was a ram at first. Awesome front bumper. Did you do something for the rear bumper also?
Thanks Joe! Yep it may be a little hard to find power seats in a 99 but I’ve seen them and I don’t see why later years maybe even up to 04 wouldn’t work. I’d definitely find some good seats and sit in them to test the fit. The front bumper is made from scratch for Dakotas and Durangos with 3 inch body lifts. I learned that the hard way after buying it. It was then that I decided my truck needed a body lift. Only thing done to the rear is I welded it to the frame because my performance accessories body lift kit didn’t include brackets to move it up. I plan on grinding off the welds and doing a custom bumper similar to the front eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: