Dakota 4.7 feels way different than Jeep 4.7??? - Dakota Durango Forum
4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
german_cargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Exclamation Dakota 4.7 feels way different than Jeep 4.7???

I used to have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 (non-HO), and I currently have a 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee from 1998. The 4.7 felt pretty similar to the 5.9 save for some of that glorious sub 2500 rpm torque that the 5.9 has, but overall it was just as quick if not more in the higher RPMs (~3500 to 4500 rpms)

I've just picked up a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab automatic with a 4.7 and nothing about it seems at all like the 4.7 in the Jeep. It holds gears longer before it shifts even just cruising around town, and it takes forever to complete a down shift compared to the Jeep. The Jeep would snap from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm quickly, and the Dakota takes much longer arrive at the next gear. Not to mention you have to have the Dakota almost floored before it'll even do the up shift.

The Jeep was NOT an HO 4.7, and from my research, the Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 is only about 500 lbs heavier. The Dakota feels like my Jeep did pulling a 16 foot motor boat all the time but with slower shifts.

Does the Dakota have a different PCM and / or TCM tune? The truck feels really really lazy and old school "truck like" and I was expecting a more car-like 4.7 545RFE combo like whats in the Jeep.

Anyone know what's up with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Have you determined which axle gears each has?

Ed

6BT, 3200GSK, M&H#3, W/A IC, 5X.012, AirDog100, HE351.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
german_cargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
Have you determined which axle gears each has?

Ed
The Dakota has the factory tow package and has a 3.55, and the Jeep had a 3.73 (also came with a factory tow package)

I should also note that on the Dakota's build sheet it says it came with a "heavy duty package" that seems to include a transmission cooler, a stronger power steering pump, and a higher amp alternator. I didn't get a full build sheet for the Jeep.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2019, 10:54 PM
RXT

Vehicle: 99 Dakota
Modifications: Quad Cab swap, Cummins swap, Solid axle swap
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Assuming that both engine are rated at the same horsepower (which they should be) the difference in power is in the axles (and the slight weight difference). The Dakota has a taller ratio. 3.55s are more of an economy ratio. It's therefore going to be a bit doggy and shift later than the Jeep -with the same exact engine.

The 4.7 isn't a torque monster to begin with, it's more of a rev engine, meaning it's built to spin some rpms. The lower 3.73 gears will tend to let the engine rev a bit more, than the 3.55s. If you want the same kind of performance without messing with the engine, swap to lower axle gears.

There wasn't a mention about tire size, but a taller tire will have a similar effect as a taller axle ratio. If the Dakota has taller tires in conjunction with the taller ratio gears, it will definitely feel weaker.

Ed

6BT, 3200GSK, M&H#3, W/A IC, 5X.012, AirDog100, HE351.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
german_cargo

I guess a slightly slower axle ratio, slightly bigger tires, and 500 pounds that could be the difference. I also shouldn't ignore the fact that I bet this thing hasn't been tuned up in years, and the Jeep had an aftermarket muffler that probably flowed better. The Dakota has the most stock muffler I've ever heard. It sounds more like a sewing machine than a V8 when you get it revved up.

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 AM
Joe Marotta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by german_cargo View Post
I used to have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7 (non-HO), and I currently have a 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee from 1998. The 4.7 felt pretty similar to the 5.9 save for some of that glorious sub 2500 rpm torque that the 5.9 has, but overall it was just as quick if not more in the higher RPMs (~3500 to 4500 rpms)

I've just picked up a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab automatic with a 4.7 and nothing about it seems at all like the 4.7 in the Jeep. It holds gears longer before it shifts even just cruising around town, and it takes forever to complete a down shift compared to the Jeep. The Jeep would snap from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm quickly, and the Dakota takes much longer arrive at the next gear. Not to mention you have to have the Dakota almost floored before it'll even do the up shift.

The Jeep was NOT an HO 4.7, and from my research, the Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 is only about 500 lbs heavier. The Dakota feels like my Jeep did pulling a 16 foot motor boat all the time but with slower shifts.

Does the Dakota have a different PCM and / or TCM tune? The truck feels really really lazy and old school "truck like" and I was expecting a more car-like 4.7 545RFE combo like whats in the Jeep.

Anyone know what's up with this?
I might suspect your off a tooth, that has a chain, with two cam gears. My 4.7 pickup seemed to be quick in the flat lands, but trust it falls apart in the mountains, and forget towing anything through Colorado with a 4.7, in an already heavy pickup.
My 99 Durango with 5.9 develops horsepower as your pulling, almost like a diesel. I also think you get good ones and crappy ones. 230.000 and I never replaced the manifold gasket, and they harp they all go bad on the 5.9. I wont touch it til problems. That Bosh injection system satisfies me, having never been touched. This truck has pulled some amazing giant trailers through 110 degrees through deserts all day long, for many days.No major tranny problems to match. It keeps up with stuff it flat shouldn't. I have to do easy to accomplish front end parts. but think I have stuff in there now that wont wear fast. It's been a fun truck, we say it ate Christine.. 5.7 Hemi gets to it in town, but I'll bet I can tow heaver and longer. I'm going to own a 5.7 and play with it,,are my plans.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 06:41 PM
rovert43
Shifty

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota SXT
Modifications: ARP Studs, SCAT pistons/rods, BoostedTech M90 SC (self customized :), J&B headers w/Magnaflow exhaust, Sonnex LPB, Hughes TC, AIRTEX 96psi, AIR RAM II hood (needed for mods), Split second timer w/ Superships programming NTS.

Sounds like the fan clutch is stiff, I'd start there, possible replace with Flex-a-lite electric fan. It will cover the job of both fans, depending on your location you may want to go with a 180 thermostat
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Dodgeballs

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Must be the truck you got. Check the compression....remember, it's used!

I've got the same truck with tow pkg, currently with 302K miles on it, original drivetrain. It pulls very strong and has been a reliable little beast. A few years back, I towed a heavy 4 wheel trailer from ATL to VA (16 hours round trip) and returned with a car on it. The truck towed effortlessly and aside from the rear end sagging, it almost felt like nothing was back there the way it pulled. I had a trailer brake controller hooked into the factory plug and I had no issues - hill or no hills. The 545RFE has never had a hiccup either and shifts are very timely. Maybe because I installed an AM drain plug and drain it every 25K. BTW, this 4.7L thrives on a diet of 0W-20 full syn.

2003 Dakota SLT
Quad Cab 4.7L Auto 2WD
302K mi

Last edited by Dodgeballs; 05-09-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: