Proper IAC pintle length/setting??? (I F'd it up...) - Dakota Durango Forum
Maintenance Forums Keep your truck looking and running its best with this advice.

post #1 of 3 Old 09-23-2016, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
rubrnekr

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT 4WD 4.7
Modifications: stock, at the moment...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Proper IAC pintle length/setting??? (I F'd it up...)

Sooo.... I decided to clean my throttle body and IAC today. Removed them completely, cleaned the sh** out of them, and reinstalled. The problem though, is that I didn't realize how the IAC worked, i.e. I didn't know that the pintle screwed in and out (VERY easily) like a bolt. It seems that I inadvertently adjusted it, and now I have a check engine light and the issues associated with a screwed up (or down, as the case may be...) idle air control valve.

I've been searching the fsm and can't find mention of the proper adjustment of the iac. I've also done a forum search regarding the iac and... Ugh, I could be here all night!

Any tips on how to properly set the pintle to the correct length again???

Last edited by rubrnekr; 09-23-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-23-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
rubrnekr

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT 4WD 4.7
Modifications: stock, at the moment...

UPDATE:
Okay, this is for anyone else who comes across this in the future and, like me, thinks that they just screwed up...

So, late last night I headed to a more secluded area so that I could give my intake the Seafoam treatment. (I'm going to post another thread regarding that, because I think something needs clarified regarding spray vs. liquid! But anyway...) I drove the truck there, parked, and turned it off.
Started it up, did the Seafoam, and turned it off.
Started it up, and proceeded to drive it like I stole it.
WOT followed by coming to a complete stop and then flooring it like I was running the 1/4 mile. Did this a couple times and, low and behold, no more check engine light!!

It seems that the computer is readjusting and learning where the "zero" point is now that the pintle is a different length then before. I didn't know that was going to happen, but it seems to make sense now that I think about it. The computer has the MAF to measure how much air is coming in, the TPS to measure the relationship of the throttle and the pintle, and the O2 sensor to determine how well things are burning and adjust fuel/air accordingly. (I THINK that's what's going on anyway... haha)

The point is, it's working itself out. At the end of the night, when I'd come to a quick stop, the rpm's would drop down to just below 500 for a sec, then back up to about 750, then level off around 600ish. I have to drive a couple hundred miles today, and I'm willing to bet it'll be idling fine by the time I'm done. So, no worries.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-02-2019, 05:51 PM
zzyzzx

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota V6 2WD
Modifications: None.

When I mucked with my IAC it somehow broke it. I was just checking to see if it was stuck, so I pushed it in, then pulled it back out. That somehow broke it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: