Dakota Durango Forum banner

hemi swap

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  DADDYODODGE1 
#1 ·
Just a few questions.
Does the oil pan and pick-up tube have to be replaced in 2002 2wd Dakota?
Will stock hemi convertor fit in frame without modifications?
Where to get motor mount kits?

I have read about the problems of changing left rear plugs because of the
brake booster. Some have used a booster from a Jeep Cherokee because
of smaller diameter. But has any body used a hydro boost system.
I think I saw one on a YouTube post but the camera moved to fast to get
a good look. If any body has, can you give my the info on what unit and
modifications had to be made. Making Pressure hoses would be easy enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated, daddyododge, Thank You

#2 ·
Unless you’re a fabricator, my recommendation would be to buy the motor mounts, oil pan, and pick up tube, from Schumacher Performance. I wish they been available when I did my swap many years ago.

As far as the brake booster to hydro boost conversion, there are several threads on the internet detailing out what you’ll need. I recommend having a hydraulic shop make you lines. If they blow, you will be SOL.

Good luck on your build.

#3 ·
Thanks for the information. Ordered the motor mounts and modified a oil pan and pick-up tube.
I'm using a 2006 hemi with MDS that shuts down cylinders when cruising. I have all computers
fuse block and front control module, out of same truck with matching vins.

Still hoping for hydro boost information. If there is information about this on this sight,
can some one point me in the right direction. Not as a rule computer qualified.
Kinda old school a telephone and hands on learning.
If any body is in Kansas City area or nearby, would like to see a truck done in real life.

Thanks for the help and all postings

#8 ·
oil pan and pick-up tube 5.7 hemi

I read on one of the treads that no modification is required when putting a 5.7 hemi
into a two wheel drive Dakota. mine is a 2002 Dakota auto. with two wheel drive.
Is this true? Has anybody done this?

Replies welcome and helpful.
Thanks, daddyododge

#10 ·
Completed hydroboost conversion except I made a mount plate that used factory mounting to fire wall
and no modification to brake pedal linkage. Also modified Dakota factory master cylinder to mount to
G.M. hydroboost. everything works great. Takes a little getting used to, much more responsive then
vacuum booster.
I know I've seen the answer to this question before, which coils for front end 2 wheel drive 5.9 or 4.7
suspension? Last modification before starting.

Also when using a 545-rfe transmission, can drive shaft out of Dakota with a 4.7 with the same
transmission be used with out modification, assuming the same differential?

All help appreciated and welcome. daddyododge

#11 ·
The 4.7 coils will work just fine. There’s less than 100 lbs difference between the two motors.

Yes the drive shaft will work just fine too. The rear differential are the same 9.25.

Congrats on your hydoboost. This is one of the only reasons I’m isn’t back on the road yet. I’d love to see pictures and more specific parts list if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks.

#12 ·
I don't know how to set up contact with a member. If you can send e-mail address, will be glad to give
you the info you need. Where a key board is concerned, EXTREMELY key board challenged.
Most responses to this sit, take anywhere from 10-20 minutes or more to type.
All fingers and thumbs work great with cars and tools, but just one finger at a time here.

#14 ·
Hi daddyododge
I'm probably going to be as the donar vehicle I found has MDS. When I spoke with Chris at Hotwire.com he said they just leave it in place and don't wire it up. I guess from a performance stand point most here wouldn't want to have it.
SB

#16 ·
Check out my Hemi swap page, I did a 2wd last year and I just started another swap with a RT. I am building some wiring harness to make the swap a full plug-n-play kit with ECM and DBW gas pedal. Also check out Rob's Hemi swap page, we are working on his truck and Tony's 4wd. We are also on FB, Hemi swapped Dakotas. I think Tony is in the KC area...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.