post #1 of 1 Old 09-13-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Primus
I hate you people.

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Post 4.7 exhaust

A few weeks ago, I had to have my entire exhaust redone to be able to pass safety and emissions-compliance(no testing) due to my previous work I had done was in terrible shape.
My previous setup was JBA ceramic coated shorty headers for a JGC 4.7 that I had gotten off here, then a custom made compression bent Y-pipe to the factory cat and then a compression-bent 3-inch cat-back system using a Flowmaster 44-series muffler(wouldn't have been my choice, but the shop made a good choice afterwards ).
The problem with this setup is that I had to use aluminized steel and the gauge they used was not very thick. Since I was living in Kansas a few years after I got this done, I didn't have any indications that there was any problems with my exhaust and when I was told that there were multiple leaks, I was stunned but not shocked because I knew I was going to have to replace this system at some point. The cat-back had rusted out at the hangers and was barely hanging on. The Y-pipe was very rusty and may have had a bunch of pin hole leaks just from looking at it. But, the worst was the headers, as one side had a cracked flange and one of the tubes was leaking as well. I was not happy about that, especially since a new pair of ceramic coated headers from other brands that still made headers for this engine and truck are $600+.
I ended up working a lot of overtime just so I could get this done as soon as possible but it still took two months to get everything I needed to be street legal.(Not wanting to boast, but I had been driving around illegally as I had not gotten my registration stickers ).
My new setup is as follows: Gibson stainless steel shorty headers, Magnaflow direct fit catalytic converter, and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust kit.
After driving the last two weeks, I noticed that my fuel economy went up. More than likely, the PCM was detecting extra oxygen and therefore richening the fuel/air mixture to compensate. Even though it wasn't a big increase, it was still noticeable, especially when I was at half a tank. The sound, though, is very different from what I had previously and I was a little disappointed that it wasn't as loud, especially under no load idle and it sounds like many other trucks now with an aftermarket exhaust. But, since the install, I have liked it more and more.
Moral of the story, don't even bother with buying a custom system with aluminized piping in 4 seasons areas, it won't last and will cost the same as aftermarket stainless steel system.

Something stinks and it ain't me.
327K+ miles, mostly all original factory parts, and 15 yrs. of reliable service.....you are missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: