Replacement PCM - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Control Parts Info Links : PCM Modules

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 97 dodge dakota
Question Replacement PCM

Does anyone know where I can buy a new PCM for my truck that is already "Flashed"? All I have found so far are new unflashed units or rebuilt units that are claimed to be flashed. I suspect the rebuilt units have the contents of the last owners PROM. I don't want a performace unit, just a plain vanilla new stock PCM & flash.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Jay

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dokata QuadCab
Send a message via ICQ to Dj Wolf Send a message via AIM to Dj Wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Dj Wolf
What do you mean by already flashed? Where ever you get it from you will need to get the dealer to flash in you VIN # which is about $100.

The build has begun....95% complete
Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 99 Durango
New will cost about 800 from the dealer. Used of rebuilt is the way to go.
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
SCT Tuner

Vehicle: '03 Ram
Send a message via AIM to hemifever
www.solopcms.com has them for about $200 and it comes with warranty and vin flash
2006 SRT8 Chrysler 300c - for the wife
Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifever View Post
www.solopcms.com has them for about $200 and it comes with warranty and vin flash

Thanks. I'll check it out.

The rebuilt part worries me. I'd like to know what "rebuilt" means. I'm going to give them a call & see what's up.

I'm looking for a flashed unit since I won't be able to drive the truck to the dealer after installing a new, unflashed PCM. No flash, no computer control
Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM

The only "flashing" that is done is possibly to enter the VIN. The PCM does not need the VIN to operate. If there is no VIN in the PCM, the ABS lamp will illuminate and the ABS will not function. Everything else will work and the vehicle is driveable. The dealer will charge you 1/2-1 hour labor to flashi in a VIN which will be $50-100.

Note, the VIN in the PCM does not have to match you vehicle's VIN. The PCM just needs to have a VIN in it. Many of us have used PCMs. Also note, the dealer cannot change the VIN in a PCM once it has been entered in it. (I 'm not sure how the rubuilders are doing that) There are a number of people who have purchased PCM from PCM refurbishment places.

Answer one question. Do you have the factory alarm system? When you lock the doors, is there a red secutty light that flashes on the dash?
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: Durango
they dont make new ones for the older durangos so rebuilt is your only choice
.Dealer may have a new one or not and use rebuilt
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
99 Durango 5.9 part out

Vehicle: 99 Durango R/T
I got one from pik-n-pull for my old gr caravan, no flashing involved. You could probably find one here in the fs/ft forum if you have a little time.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Answer one question. Do you have the factory alarm system? When you lock the doors, is there a red secutty light that flashes on the dash?

I don't have the "High-Line" system. No alarm.

So you think that if I buy a new PCM from Dodge (or any manufacturer) it will contain the ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, O2 calibration tables, etc? It just won't have MY VIN # in it? If that's all it's missing then a new Chrysler module would work fine for me. I'll have to get the VIN flashed before I take it infor it's next emissions test to clear the "Check Engine" light.

Cool.

Last edited by disaster; 10-06-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Checked w/ Cardone about rebuilt PCMs. Cardone sells through RockAuto. Couldn't get a response from solopcms.com. A "rebuilt" is actually just a repaired module. Cardone claims they diagnose the core unit & replace any circuits that fail testing. They also have a database of known problem circuits in all the PCMs on the market. Based on that database they replace any circuits on the core PCM which is in their list of problems. But that's the extend of a "rebuild". Connectors are not replaced, passives are not replaced (unless they fail testing), all ICs are not replaced, PWBs are not replaced. Unfortunately these components degrade over time. PCMs that are located in the engine bay suffer more than those that are located in the cabin. So part of the rebuilt PCM is new, part is used.

I would prefer a new unit if I can find one. Currently Dodge shows the part for my truck as active. I've been quoted about $100 more than the cost of a rebuilt unit from an on-line Dodge Parts Dealer. That's probably where I'll end up.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster View Post
I don't have the "High-Line" system. No alarm.

So you think that if I buy a new PCM from Dodge (or any manufacturer) it will contain the ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, O2 calibration tables, etc? It just won't have MY VIN # in it? If that's all it's missing then a new Chrysler module would work fine for me. I'll have to get the VIN flashed before I take it infor it's next emissions test to clear the "Check Engine" light.

Cool.

What do you mean "it will contain the ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, O2 calibration tables, etc?" Those are the function of any PCM, new, used or otherwise.

VIN does not affect the Check Engine light. The ABS lights will be on without a VIN.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What do you mean "it will contain the ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, O2 calibration tables, etc?" Those are the function of any PCM, new, used or otherwise.

VIN does not affect the Check Engine light. The ABS lights will be on without a VIN.

According to the sales guy at the Dodge Dealer the new PCMs "DO NOT" contain the calibration tables, ignition timing tables, warm-up look-up tables, etc. The truck will not operate with a new un-flashed PCM. These need to be "flashed" at the dealer on-car after installing the PCM. That's his story anyway. I have no idea if it's correct, just what I'm told.

If only the ABS light comes on with a new PCM with no VIN that's better than the Check Engine light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: