voltage gauge drops to zero check gauge light comes on - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dak quad cab
voltage gauge drops to zero check gauge light comes on

ok so it stopped raining here and i have been driving all week today go out driving and the check gauge light comes on. look around all gauges except the voltage gauge work fine. voltage reads zero but the truck runs lights start to flicker a little but it runs fine. shut the truck off restart the gauge works until 30mph or around a constant 2500 rpm about 30sec then it starts a slow drop off and the light comes on. used a multi meter (volt meter) on the batt reads around 13 volts with the truck running went from single wire on the alt to the neg side of the batt reads a pretty much constant 13 volts when i rev maybe a little flicker higher. with the volt meter dropped off. so really there is no change except the gauge. any body got an idea better than my cluster is about to dump on me? you guys helped alot in the past, lets see if it can happen again! please

oh i searched the problem and all i got in the tech forum and here was the possibility of a tensioner but the belt is tight and the tensioner has no unusual movement in it. thanks

2003 qc 4.7
3in bl,1.5 t bars,2in block 33's comming soon 33's on
new truck 98 dak cc 2.5l goin low pics to follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge dak quad cab
ok 33 people and no one has an idea i mean the problem is apparently a ghost but yall helped me out every other time am i the first? really i feel soooooo special lol

2003 qc 4.7
3in bl,1.5 t bars,2in block 33's comming soon 33's on
new truck 98 dak cc 2.5l goin low pics to follow
Old 09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
www.AIRRAM.com

Vehicle: 2002 QC RAM 4.7L *SOLD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakqc47 View Post
ok 33 people and no one has an idea i mean the problem is apparently a ghost but yall helped me out every other time am i the first? really i feel soooooo special lol
I would take it to AUTOZONE and have them hook up and check the battery and altenator... other then that I cant tell you whats wrong.

You may also want to check all your connections and insure your battery connectors are tight and secure. Double check the plug to your altinator and the one hot wire going to it.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 09-16-2009, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota QC
Send a message via AIM to mthandt Send a message via Yahoo to mthandt
Had the same problem a while back, except for the lights flickering. Would like to say I have an answer for you but I don't becasue my problem went away soon after. It happened though when I was driving one time in an extreme down pour. Don't really know if that has anything to do with it or not. My check gauges light was also followed by a low voltage code the next day. One thing that I was looking into though was the temp sensor that is under the battery. It reads the temp of the battery and then sends a signal to the PCM on how much to charge. The other thing was maybe the regulator was bad in the PCM. But start small and like was said, go to your local parts store and have them check the battery and the alternator. If they check out check all your connections between the battery alternator and PCM. Also check all of your grounds out and make sure they are making good connections.

Other than that IDK what to tell you since my problem went away and never came back. This was about three months ago and hasn't happened again.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 03 Mach 1
happens to my durango when the belt gets wet. I would get your alternator checked out

R.I.P. Durango
Old 05-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Dakota QuadCab
Help!

Hi, just curious if you ever found a solution to your problem. I am having the same trouble right now, and going tomorrow to work on it some more in the daylight. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Amy
Old 11-25-2011, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota SLT QC
Same here, going to go have the alt/bat checked out, but never have power issues so I seriously doubt either of them is the issue...

Tim
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
If it seems to be RPM related, I'd bet on the alternator being bad.

The alt in my Ranger gave up the ghost last year while cruising along at 60mph (no tach, unknown RPM), pushed the clutch and voltage came back. Ended up driving slower and slower to keep the RPM low and voltage up. 5th gear at 30mph sucks... ANYWAY, turned out the brushes and commutator were beat up and bouncing apart from one another.

Beyond that, clean all the connections, reset the PCM (since that controls charging for us) and have it tested if still acting up.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Mopar lover

Vehicle: 04 QC Dak. SLT+ 4x4 4.7L
Most, not all electrical gremlins are due to bad GROUNDS.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2003, Dodge, Dakota
Did you ever resolve this issue? My 2003 Dakota does the same thing, even after the meter goes to zero the voltage at battery when running is under spec at 13.8 to 14.2 ish, including when under a load.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 AM

Vehicle: 04 dodge ram
i had the same problem mine was a lose connection at the neg. battery cable with the aftermarket termal I was using
2/4.5, h.o. cam, 70mm f&b, 4.56 posi., stage 2 cai.,e-fan,e-cutout, center force dual friction clutch,180tstat, exhaust cutout, hi-flo Y, jba header, 3 inch exhaust after Y, zex wet kit, 2013 intake, SCT(tuned by FlyinRyan),24s and a turbo in the works.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Re: alternator voltage drop

I agree with the neg battery cable. I did knock on the alternator with a 2x4 to try to knock the brushes loose and it seemed to cure the problem for a while. seems like temperature and rainy times made it worse though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: