Clutch fan replaced, now extreme roaring sound - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT
Clutch fan replaced, now extreme roaring sound

I had the clutch fan replaced on my 2002 4.7l Dakota a year ago and as soon as I got into the truck to leave the dealer it started roaring like an 18-wheeler. Turns out it is whenever the clutch fan kicks in. I am scaring people in parking lots!

We bought the truck new, and in the previous six years it never, EVER once made that sound. The second I left the dealership after having the clutch fan replaced, it started. Any idea of what this could be? Local repair shop is trying to tell me it must not have been working before, but I could tell when the clutch fan would come on before and it would make appropriate sounds and kick back off accordingly.

The local shop found the electric fan needs replacing -- could the previous dealer have damaged/disconnected it somehow so it didn't work, thus making the clutch fan run harder to keep up, thus making the noise? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 04 dak
I replaced mine a few years ago with one from a local auto parts store. And sounds the say way, only thing im missing is the turbo noise for it to sound like a big rig.

Mine does sound like that only at low speeds, or after i start the truck. It only lasts a maybe 10-15 seconds before it goes away or to where Im not able to hear it any more. I have learned to live with it and never had a problem with it over heating.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
Yours probably didnt work before. Mine has done it since I bought it and every other truck i have owned has done it too...
Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 AM

Vehicle: 00 durango rt
Dude, the roaring sound is supposedly normal.I guess the goopy-fluid in the clutch fan isn't settled for a bit and it roars.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 AM
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Reputation: 583 Little Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy04/3.7 View Post

Mine does sound like that only at low speeds, or after i start the truck. It only lasts a maybe 10-15 seconds before it goes away or to where Im not able to hear it any more. I have learned to live with it and never had a problem with it over heating.
Mines the same way...loud roar is normal for the first minute or so...cools the radiator faster on a hot heat soak....

Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 AM
I need 2 more cylinders!!

Vehicle: 1998 Dakota Sport 2wd 5sp
Mine was the same way, never made a sound and then when I had my timing set and water pump replaced the shop discovered that I had about 2 inches of front to back play in the clutch. Now that I have a new one it does the roaring thing until it warms up a little, just the way it is.
Ext mods: weathertech weatherflectors, pilot navigator driving lights, eagle fiberglass tonneau cover, 31 x 10.5 toyo open country a/t tires, #9007 silverstar headlight bulbs, clear corners.

Engine mods: Removed snorkel, removed rubber flap, ngk v-power plugs, K&N drop in filter.

Interior sound: Kenwood KDC2200 headunit

RCC Member #51
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 AM

Vehicle: 98/Dodge/Durango SLT
Send a message via MSN to RebelX
mines the same way. roars for a lil bit upon start up. dies off within a minute or two. makes ppl turn heads though in parkin lots, lol.
5 Door Whore # 173
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Go Rangers!!

Vehicle: 2oo3, Dakota QC 4.7 Sport
Reputation: 115 Hustlajustin is just really niceHustlajustin is just really nice
Yeah mine used to make the noise, until I took it off and threw it in the garage.

Silly Ricers, useless wings are for Penguins!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlajustin View Post
Yeah mine used to make the noise, until I took it off and threw it in the garage.
Haha, yup. I thought it was wierd, mine started doing that all the time and on the highway it was absolutely nuts and I found out it was seized up. Replaced it and it still did it in town more than I liked so I just took it off and it still cools just fine.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Go Rangers!!

Reputation: 115 Hustlajustin is just really niceHustlajustin is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHot View Post
Haha, yup. I thought it was wierd, mine started doing that all the time and on the highway it was absolutely nuts and I found out it was seized up. Replaced it and it still did it in town more than I liked so I just took it off and it still cools just fine.
Yep, and some people say it frees up some extra ponies, not sure of that. But it does seem to have quicker throttle response, and thats always a good thing

Old 09-15-2009, 01:36 PM

Huh! I didn't realize you could do without it. So the electric fan is enough for the cooling? I might just have to try that.

One question about that: we do some towing with the truck -- will removing the clutch fan be an issue with that?

I had the shop replace the existing one last week and the new one is even worse! It roars almost constantly, at varying levels of intensity. I really miss the awesome engine sound this truck has without that God-awful roar.

I have heard the clutch fans are supposed to be stored in a certain direction on the shelf at the parts store because of the fluid in them. Is that an old-technology thing, or is that still true today? Nobody at the repair place or the parts store seemed to know what I was talking about when I asked them about it.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Go Rangers!!

Ive towed my buddys boat, an enclosed trailer with all my belongings in it and the bed and the backseat of my QC all without the clutch fan, and all in the middle of the hot Texas summer, never had a problem cooling with the stock e-fan. Id say take it off, and keep it in the truck and if it starts to get hot, put that sucker back on, its simple enough.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 01 5 speed 4.7 RC Dakota SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleWrangler View Post
I had the clutch fan replaced on my 2002 4.7l Dakota a year ago and as soon as I got into the truck to leave the dealer it started roaring like an 18-wheeler. Turns out it is whenever the clutch fan kicks in. I am scaring people in parking lots!

We bought the truck new, and in the previous six years it never, EVER once made that sound. The second I left the dealership after having the clutch fan replaced, it started. Any idea of what this could be? Local repair shop is trying to tell me it must not have been working before, but I could tell when the clutch fan would come on before and it would make appropriate sounds and kick back off accordingly.

The local shop found the electric fan needs replacing -- could the previous dealer have damaged/disconnected it somehow so it didn't work, thus making the clutch fan run harder to keep up, thus making the noise? Any thoughts?
the roaring sound is the fan spinning, when it is cold or first started up a lot of times it sticks and doesn't spin. Mine does it all the time when it first turns on, if your E fan needs to be replaced then it might be running hot causing the clutch fan to stay on/roaring.
www.AIRRAM.com Discounted Performance Parts with FREE SHIPPING!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 AM

HALLELUJIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pulled the clutch fan off a few minutes ago (very easy with a big-ass wrench and a big hammer) and took my baby for a test drive.

It is SO FREAKIN' AWESOME to be able to hear that rockin' V8 engine sound again! I can't really tell yet if it feels more responsive or not, but will see over the next few days.

Thank y'all so much for your help!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 AM
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Reputation: 583 Little Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleWrangler View Post
HALLELUJIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pulled the clutch fan off a few minutes ago (very easy with a big-ass wrench and a big hammer) and took my baby for a test drive.

It is SO FREAKIN' AWESOME to be able to hear that rockin' V8 engine sound again! I can't really tell yet if it feels more responsive or not, but will see over the next few days.

Thank y'all so much for your help!
If you sit in traffic for a long time, it will overheat...you either have to put fan back on, or convert to electric fan...don't fry yer engine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: