Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Ted 00 R/T

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Won’t go into park

Was driving around in the 2k RT Durango this afternoon. All going good. Stopped to go into the store and it won’t go into park. So what’s up? How hard is this to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-26-2007, 09:28 PM
VPREATR

Vehicle: 03' Dakota and Durango
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My apologies for reviving this thread, however I've recently experienced the exact same problem with my 2003 Dodge Durango SLT (5.9L/4X4).

Basically a few days ago the vehicle simply wouldn't engage park; all other shifting options are available (i.e. R, N, D, 2, 1) - It feels as if park is locked out entirely.

I’ve checked the linkage, linkage plate; it appears the restriction is internal; does this transmission have a lock out; at first it would enter park and not report the status on the dash indicator; currently the vehicle only starts in neutral (key removal is possible by placing the shifter in the park position, although moderate resistance is noted)

Advice and suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by VPREATR; 07-26-2007 at 09:36 PM.
post #3 of 41 Old 08-17-2008, 03:22 AM
durango59rt

Vehicle: 2001 Durango R/T

bump..this is the problem I am having now..Does anyone have any input on this??

Traded in the Durango for a new 2008 Hemi Ram.
Im gonna miss the 5.9
post #4 of 41 Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 AM
flyboy121785

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SXT 4.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango59rt View Post
bump..this is the problem I am having now..Does anyone have any input on this??
Inside the steering column where the shift engage is I think there will be either plastic or metal pins. Check to see if they are worn or bent out of place. I had one on an oldsmobile that had the same problem. When I pressed on the break I can hear the safety system dis-engage to enable me to shift. So instead of pulling that all apart I went into the steering column first and discovered that it was bent. I straightened it with plyers and it worked fine for a few weeks...then snapped entirely lol. This will be some place good to start. Im guessing you also can't get your keys out that sucks.
post #5 of 41 Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
durango59rt

Its weird because I can force it into the park position to get the keys out, but its not actually in park..The indicator still says reverse and it rolls back as if in reverse despite being in the park position.

Im gonna miss the 5.9
post #6 of 41 Old 08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
durango59rt

This is coupled with the transmission problems Ive been having which I have outlined in this thread (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56345)..

Basically where Im at now- The tranny refuses to shift when its supposed to and revs up past the shift point. When I let of the gas a little as it revs higher it sometimes drops into the next gear but its very inconsistent and obviously not working right since it keeps missing the shifts and over-revving..This happened on my ride home and when I pulled into my driveway I had the problem with not being able to go into park..So because of that my car has blocks behind it now as it is in reverse and I obviously am afraid to drive it even though I can start it in neutral...

Im gonna miss the 5.9
post #7 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 AM
flyboy121785

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SXT 4.7L

Quote:
This is coupled with the transmission problems Ive been having which I have outlined in this thread (http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56345)..

Basically where Im at now- The tranny refuses to shift when its supposed to and revs up past the shift point. When I let of the gas a little as it revs higher it sometimes drops into the next gear but its very inconsistent and obviously not working right since it keeps missing the shifts and over-revving..This happened on my ride home and when I pulled into my driveway I had the problem with not being able to go into park..So because of that my car has blocks behind it now as it is in reverse and I obviously am afraid to drive it even though I can start it in neutral...
I see. I read the link aswell. Try tightening the bands on the tranny aswell...the linkage could be the problem. Theres so much crap that be causing this...well not alot but stuff that involves time like the bands, solenoids, linkage etc
post #8 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 AM
99dakRT
46RE=gay things/FAIL

Vehicle: 99 CC RT

I had the same problem... Shortly after I lost 2nd gear.. On the front band there is a piece that can break off, from what I hear???? Its probably broken and the piece fell and gets lodged when you try to shift into park.. You can tighten your bands but its not going to have any effect on it going into park.. your shifts will feel tighter after adjusting them tho..

Good luck man, I'm looking at a $2,500 rebuild

post #9 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 AM
R/Tdurango02
Ford Recovery Vehical

Vehicle: 02 Durango R/T
Modifications: CAI Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro wires Bosch Platinums Accel cap & rotor

I have the same prob with the 02 RT. Useually as long as it drifts forward a hair after putting it in park the indicator will go to the p posistion. I think its just something stupid that does it , sometimes i just have to try a few times to get it to light up. Its not a big deal though cause it is in park and wont roll away and as soon as you put it in drive the reverse lights go out and the indicator moves to the d posistion
post #10 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
SheDevL

Vehicle: .
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Safety Recall G28 - Ignition / Park Shift Interlock

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2001 and 2002 model year Dodge Ram Van / Wagon, Dakota and Durango vehicles and 2002 model year Dodge Ram Pick Up Trucks equipped with a column mounted automatic transmission shift lever.

The problem is...
The Ignition / Park interlock system on your vehicle (VIN: ) may become inoperative. This can allow the shifter to be moved out of the "Park" position with the ignition key removed (or in the "Lock" position). This can also allow the ignition key to be removed when the shifter has not been placed in the "Park" position. Either of these conditions could allow the vehicle to roll away and cause a crash without warning.

What your dealer will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the steering column gear shift blocker. The work will take about an hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.

What you must do to ensure your safety...
Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment. Remember to bring this letter with you to your dealer.

If you need help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403

Please help us update our records, by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vechicle.

If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your original receipst and / or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler P.O. Box 4639 Oak Ridge, TN 37831, Attention: Reimbursement.

If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vechicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler
Notification Code G28

---------------------

Ok... since my scanner didnt work, I just typed it all...
*edit: just found it - http://fleet.alaska.gov/Bulletins/chevG28.pdf*
Granted, I probably could have found the recall online somewhere, but oh well. I needed a typing lesson, haha.
I didnt get the letter myself, but a friend of mine scanned a copy for me.
My friend claims that it doesnt matter if its still under waranty or not... but who knows. I've been too lazy to go see.

Last edited by SheDevL; 08-18-2008 at 08:11 AM.
post #11 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
SheDevL

Vehicle: .
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone wanna try and fix it themselves? hahaha

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...G28-recall.htm
post #12 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Daktari

yeah, they had a recall as the tranny may not lock in park and cause the vehicle to roll. Free dealer fix. But it may not also allow you to put it in park. IDK
post #13 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
durango59rt

Called the dealer, said they would fix it due to the recall..have to wait till Monday which is a pain in the ass but at least its free..Dont think it will fix the problem I have with the overrevving on shifts though so Ill probably still have to have someone open up my tranny at some point

Im gonna miss the 5.9
post #14 of 41 Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 PM
99dakRT
46RE=gay things/FAIL

Vehicle: 99 CC RT

Quote:
Called the dealer, said they would fix it due to the recall..have to wait till Monday which is a pain in the ass but at least its free..Dont think it will fix the problem I have with the overrevving on shifts though so Ill probably still have to have someone open up my tranny at some point
When exactly is it over revving?? When it shifts into second??

post #15 of 41 Old 08-19-2008, 03:40 AM
durango59rt

Yeah when it goes into second sometimes it misses the shift point and goes up to like 4,000 and if i ease of the gas it will occasionally drop in anyway.

Im gonna miss the 5.9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: