99 Durango 4x4 crossmember removal ? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota
99 Durango 4x4 crossmember removal ?

Transplanting the drivetrain from a rolled 99 Durango in to my 97 Dakota and today I removed the engine from the durango and am trying to remove the transmission but cannot get the transmission crossmember out. All eight bolts have been removed, transmission unbolted and lifted off the crossmember and I've even jacked up on the crossmember slightly. The crossmember will move slightly but cannot get it to move more than 1/4" in any direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM
MUDDIGGER

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L
Send a message via Yahoo to muddigger4x4
if its coming out of a rolled vehicle, torch the frame out around it, should pop right out then

RIP 5.9L Magnum
5 door whore #155
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 PM

That is my next option but wanted to learn the trick to removing it so when the motor & transmission come out of the dakota, I could put the information to use. The frame of the durango wasn't damaged when rolled just the top of the body. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 AM
MUDDIGGER

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9L
Send a message via Yahoo to muddigger4x4
ahh ok, good luck, im sure someone on here will know the answers

RIP 5.9L Magnum
5 door whore #155
Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 AM

Finally took time to work on the durango today. I will post this for the sake of others who may be about to remove their transmission. If anyone has an easier way to accomplish the task or if the post needs corrections/additions, please feel free to add your input.

Removing the transmission required removal of the transfer case first including unbolting the shifter assembly and removal of both drive shafts. The transfer case is held in place by six (6) nuts which required a 14mm socket/wrench. The vent tube will need to be disconnected and then you can slide the transfer case back and out of the way.
The transmission needs to be unbolted from the crossmember and motor if not removing with the motor. Disconnect the wiring from the transmission and I removed the exhaust from the muffler forward for more room during transmission removal. The transmission now needs to be jacked up to clear the crossmember. I removed all eight bolts from the crossmember to frame connection and was then able to tap each side of the crossmember toward the back of the truck until it cleared the transmission. The transmission could then be lowered and removed.

My manual didn't spell this procedure out so I hope it helps save someone some time/trouble.

Last edited by slodakota; 06-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
jimthedman

Vehicle: 99 durango
thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: