Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
ic3man05

Vehicle: 2000 dodge dakota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is E85 worth it?

I got sick of doing the math in my head all the time for how much the price changes so I wrote a program. Turns out I'm saving little over a dollar running e85.

Attached Files
File Type: zip E85Calculator.zip (5.5 KB, 21 views)

2000 Dakota CC 4x4 with 2007 5.7L HEMI (WIP)
Upgrades: Shorty Headers, KRC MDS Cam, 45RFE-HD2 Shift kit, 3" Dynomax exhaust system, 6.1L HEMI pushrods/valve springs/ported oil pump, clutch fan delete, custom cold air intake
Dakota Hemi Swap Pictures - www.dakota-hemi.com WIP for my swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Jarheadoo7
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota

sweet! can you write me a program for winning lottery numbers?

::
post #3 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Five9Dak
Blown and Squirted

Vehicle: 99 Dakota R/T Reg Cab

Send a message via AIM to Five9Dak
You can't run e85 unless you have a standalone and huge injectors. I talked to hemifever about an SCT tune for e85 and a blower, and he wouldn't hear it.

The cost savings increase dramatically if your motor is set up with high enough static compression, or boost to take advantage of the high octane rating of e85. You can dramatically improve the thermodynamic efficiency of the engine at elevated compression ratios. All the studies on e85 seem to mostly neglect this. Making it from corn doesn't make sense, but e85 is a potent and cheap street/strip fuel.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 9" 3000, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
Z Code Performance Website
post #4 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM
9t9-5.2
Home School Valedictorian

Vehicle: 9t9-5.2

Unless you have a flex fuel vehicle, damage will occur.

No fear, no doubt, all in balls out

If every American cared enough to purchase one USA made garment per year the impact would be $9 billion. That is a lot of American jobs.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Kbabiasz06

Vehicle: 2008-Dodge-Dakota

Send a message via AIM to Kbabiasz06
I have flex fuel in my 08, but i have never used e85 yet
post #6 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
ic3man05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five9Dak View Post
You can't run e85 unless you have a standalone and huge injectors. I talked to hemifever about an SCT tune for e85 and a blower, and he wouldn't hear it.

The cost savings increase dramatically if your motor is set up with high enough static compression, or boost to take advantage of the high octane rating of e85. You can dramatically improve the thermodynamic efficiency of the engine at elevated compression ratios. All the studies on e85 seem to mostly neglect this. Making it from corn doesn't make sense, but e85 is a potent and cheap street/strip fuel.
doesn't e85 have an octane rating of over 110?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbabiasz06
I have flex fuel in my 08, but i have never used e85 yet
Mine runs better on e85, plus the exhaust smells cooler.

Upgrades: Shorty Headers, KRC MDS Cam, 45RFE-HD2 Shift kit, 3" Dynomax exhaust system, 6.1L HEMI pushrods/valve springs/ported oil pump, clutch fan delete, custom cold air intake
post #7 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM
05SLT
Blown287

Vehicle: Blown 05 4.7L Dakota
Modifications: 206 cams, JBA Headers, Spintech Cats, Dual Exhaust, Ram Air Hood, SCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3man05 View Post
doesn't e85 have an octane rating of over 110? :
Yes, that is why my first alchol injection test were conducted with denatured alcohol aka Ethanol. Ethanol has become popular with standard water injection systems for boost applications.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
xxxxxxxxxspshultz

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8
Modifications: Stock

I decided to try a tank of E-85 which was $1.69 gal. So far I'm averaging a computer calculated 12.5 MPG with no hot rodding around. And I feel like it's down on power just a little bit. I probably won't try it again. I just don't see how E-85 can be used as a viable alternative with the vehicles of today.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Kbabiasz06

Vehicle: 2008-Dodge-Dakota

Send a message via AIM to Kbabiasz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
I decided to try a tank of E-85 which was $1.69 gal. So far I'm averaging a computer calculated 12.5 MPG with no hot rodding around. And I feel like it's down on power just a little bit. I probably won't try it again. I just don't see how E-85 can be used as a viable alternative with the vehicles of today.

Its more or less there because it doesnt have the emissions like gas and it saves people money. I was going to try it, but after reading your post and seeing the miles lost in the first post, i think ill just spend the extra $1/gal
post #10 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 AM
70Cuda383
Don't be "That Guy"

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Clubcab 7.2L

I'll try to be brief!

E-85 is 110 octane. octane is only good if your engine needs it...octane means RESISTANCE to burning. there are very good chances that adding higher octane than what you need to your engine, will actually make LESS power because the fuel is burning slower

so on a standard, low compression engine, E-85 is a waste, as you get less mileage, and less power, when the engine is "set up" to run on BOTH 87 octane pump gas, and E-85.

E85 can be a great thing if they build the engine STRICTLY for E85, and give it 13 or 14:1 compression, where you would normally need expensive race gas, now you can run cheap E85 out of the pump. when engines are built for E85, they will make MORE power than when they are run on gasoline.

you still get lower mileage though due to the lower BTU value per gallon of alcohol vs gasoline.

cost wise...I got bad news for you. the only reason why E85 is cheaper right now, is because it's getting a government subsidy in the form of a $1 per gallon tax break...once the government decides to tax E85 the same as regular gasoline, it will be MORE expensive than 87 octane pump gas.

plus, depending on what they make it from, E85 isn't all that effecient...say if it's corn, they get something like 7 gallons of E85 for every 1 gallon of gasoline they burn during the entire process --diesel for farm tractors, and hauling around corn to market, etc. to the ethanol plant, the energy put into the process to turn it from corn into alcohol which requires lots and lots of heat to cook the mix prior to fermentation, much like making beer. then the gasoline they mix it with to mix the pure alcohol down to 85%

imagine what happens with that 7:1 ratio when EVERYTHING is running some sort of ethanol/biodiesel, and is getting 20% less mileage!
post #11 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Five9Dak
Blown and Squirted

Vehicle: 99 Dakota R/T Reg Cab

Send a message via AIM to Five9Dak
For the flex fuel vehicles, it doesn't really make sense to use. Now aftermarket boosted applications on the other hand..... hehe.

'99 R/T- MSIIextra fuel/spark/idle, ZCP mx422 supercharged, ZCP Tbrake 727, PPC 9" 3000, 4.10, (\/) Headers, 2.5" Duals, Truetrac, Boyd Timeless 6's, Hotchkis TVS.
Z Code Performance Website
post #12 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
ic3man05

Quote:
whats your mpg on gas?

post #13 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
xxxxxxxxxspshultz

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8
Modifications: Stock

My question is: Why do they (the manufacturers) think that it's good to have a Flex Fuel vehicle in their lineup when the engines produced really aren't set up to take advantage of the fuel? Why would anyone be OK with less power and less fuel economy?

I'm running a 3" Borla Exhaust, CAI and Hypertech on the "Premium" setting and am seeing around 18 - 19 (computer says 20) miles per gallon in mixed city/highway driving (about 40% city, 60% highway (75mph)). I'm going to run out this tank of E85, run another tank of 91 through it and then drop down to the "Regular" setting (87) and run 87 for a while to see how it does. I only have about 7500 miles on the truck so I think the engine is still breaking in and loosening up (I hope).

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxspshultz; 06-04-2009 at 02:31 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
razman131
Home Owner....

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Modifications: to many to list, plus standard bolt ons and suspension mods.

Send a message via Yahoo to razman131 Send a message via Skype™ to razman131
Quote:
My question is: Why do they (the manufacturers) think that it's good to have a Flex Fuel vehicle in their lineup when the engines produced really aren't set up to take advantage of the fuel? Why would anyone be OK with less power and less fuel economy?

has sumthin to do with the govt tax breaks for fleets and what the govt eventually wants us to own.

as for the engines, the sensors can/will be able to tell what fuel your using and make the necessary adj for it (O2, knock, egt....)

and as mentioned above, E85 has certain needs as far as the fuel lines, injectors or you will have tons of leaks and other problems.

1999 Dakota R/T (mild to heavy mod)
2006 Magnum SRT8 (not *yet* modded)
2004 Dodge Caravan SXT.... Momy Mobile
BEATER: 1991 Honda Civic DX 4dr
post #15 of 18 Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
ic3man05

Quote:

I'm running a 3" Borla Exhaust, CAI and Hypertech on the "Premium" setting and am seeing around 18 - 19 (computer says 20) miles per gallon in mixed city/highway driving (about 40% city, 60% highway (75mph)). I'm going to run out this tank of E85, run another tank of 91 through it and then drop down to the "Regular" setting (87) and run 87 for a while to see how it does. I only have about 7500 miles on the truck so I think the engine is still breaking in and loosening up (I hope).
I think the only reason e85 happened is to keep the tree huggers happy. I think dodge specifically said implementing flex fuel on the hemi is a waste of time because there is no demand and once people fill up on it once they decide its not worth it. If the engine was tuned for e85 (higher compression/more fuel) it would greatly increase power but greatly reduce mpg. Maybe an MDS system on all cylinders would be able to counter this and bring it near gas mpg.

I'm running a completely stock 08 dak and was getting 10.5 with e85 city and 12.7 with gas city. I have a REALLY heavy foot, but what I noticed with e85 if I baby it was about 11.5mpg anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: