Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 awd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I finally got a chance to fix it, and knowing all the info in above posts really helped. I soaked everything with PB for 2 days. I think the hardest part was getting the 2 nuts off the heat shield. After that, I found I had two broken studs (the 2 furthest to the rear). one literally came out by hand. The other one was in the block, but not a problem. Went to the local Harbor Freight and got their broken screw/bolt extractor kit for 10 bucks, and using that took it right out. They were surprisingly easy to get out. The other non-broken ones I got out with an impact wrench and a couple different swivels, sockets, and extensions. I didn't bother trying to break them by hand, and whoever mentioned using a impact wrench, thanks. I think they might have snapped if I did it any other way. I had the impact wrench goin for about 20-30 seconds per bolt before they loosened up, but it definitely did the trick. Also want to mention that I pulled the air filter assembly . Then I jacked the truck up, took off the tire, and also removed the wheel well/mud guard so it made it very easy to get to everything. I was expecting much worse, but everything went pretty smooth From there, I coated the threads on the new bolts with anti-seize, made sure everything was clean from the old gasket, put the new gasket in place and put it all back together. by the way, it was easier to cut the 2 bolts where the manifold meets the pipe and put new ones, as they were pretty shot, but easily accessible for a sawzall with a metal blade. I tightened everything starting from center and working my way out a bit by bit, and finishing at 25 pounds of torque (as manual recommended). Before I put everything completely back together, I started it up, and to my extreme relief, no more ticking sound. Got it all together and took her for a ride, and sounds great..hope it lasts a long time. But once again, thanks for all the help. I am sure I saved myself probably a couple hundred bucks in repair costs.