how to convert manual windows/locks to power - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
FAQ's, Tips & Tricks Helpful technical information.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how to convert manual windows/locks to power

ok, this write up will show you how to convert your manual window/lock truck to power everything using factory parts on an 01 and up truck. i had all of the parts from my wrecked truck, so i decided to swap it all over to the new truck which had manual everything. it is a plug and play install. all you need is some basic knowledge and the required tools it takes to take apart most of the interior. it took me a couple of days to do this swap, but i didnt work on it all day. hope this helps some people..

parts needed:

-CTM from truck that had power accessories
-wiring harness from CTM to power accessories
-both driver and passenger side door harnesses for power accessories
-door panels and switches from power vehicle
-window motors and tracks
-door lock actuators from power vehicle

--first off, disconect the battery. then you have to take apart your interior. i took everything out execpt the dash and rear seat. the front seats, center console, door panels, rear panels (for club cab), A-pillars, carpet and headliner need to come out. after that, take out the wiring harness thats on the floor that goes to the CTM. the harness goes to both doors, the rear of the cab, and up the driver side a-pillar to the overhead console, dome light, and third brake light. as you pull out the harness, make sure to note how it is routed on the driver side and passenger side kick panel area. here is the harness that you pull out.

the black box in this pic is the CTM^^^

--to pull the harness that goes from the door to the cab, pull out the rubber piece on the cab, and there are plugs in there that dissconnect. take off the harness that goes throughout the door. make note on how it is routed. the new one goes in the same way. while you are working on the doors, remove the old manual window tracks and mechanism. make sure to prop up the window so it wont fall down or you can take it out completly. i chose to prop it up.

--once the entire harness is pulled out, take out the ctm. the two plugs on the top and bottom of the ctm are used again. leave those plugged in. take out the one plug in the middle.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
2002 dakota r/t new truck
mods: mopar headers, 3" spintech exhaust, k&n intake, m-1 2bbl, 52mm tb, asp underdrive crank pulley, viper fan, shift kit, HS 1.7 rr's, Dynojet Wideband, SCT, 2/3 drop

Last edited by 01dakotaqc; 05-22-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

--take out your old door lock actuators and replace them with the new ones. here is a pic of the new one your replacing it with. to take out the old one, take off the three screws from the side of the door. the new one goes in the same way.

--once everything is out, replace the old ctm with the new ctm. it bolts on the same way as the other one. once that is on, plug in you new wiring harness to the ctm. run the harness throughout the truck to where the other plugs need to go. the new harness is ran throughout the truck the same as the older one.

--once you have your harness ran throughout the cab of the truck, install your new harnesses for the doors.

--after your door harnesses are ran, plug in your door lock actuator. then put on your new power window motor and tracks. this picture shows what holes the power window motor bolts into. the bolts are circled in white. the yellow circles show where the tracks bolt up to. the plug for the motor is on the bottom. the tracks may need to be aligned so the window goes up and down smoothly.

--once you have the doors complete, that is pretty much it. make sure you have the rest of the plugs plugged in inside the cab. after everything is plugged in, connect the batterey and make sure everything works. if everything works, re-install the interior and the door panels. now your truck has power windows and locks. a couple of people have asked me how to do this, so i hope this write up will help out some of you guys. let me know if anything else needs to be added. i did this swap about a year ago so i might have skipped over something. as long as you take your time and take note on how everything is routed, this should be an easy swap.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
mods: mopar headers, 3" spintech exhaust, k&n intake, m-1 2bbl, 52mm tb, asp underdrive crank pulley, viper fan, shift kit, HS 1.7 rr's, Dynojet Wideband, SCT, 2/3 drop

Last edited by 01dakotaqc; 05-22-2009 at 06:56 AM.
post #3 of Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

the way the windows mounted to the tracks between the manual and power...are they the same or different?

i have yet to find a power window truck that the glass mounts the same
post #4 of Old 05-22-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperkota View Post
the way the windows mounted to the tracks between the manual and power...are they the same or different?

i have yet to find a power window truck that the glass mounts the same
the glass bolts up to the frame the same way. at least on my 02. the power window motor bolted on the door differently than the manual window mechanism did.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
post #5 of Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01dakotaqcquestion is...for View Post
the glass bolts up to the frame the same way. at least on my 02. the power window motor bolted on the door differently than the manual window mechanism did.
im talking about how the window its self mounts to the manual /power track. all of the power window tracks mount near the center of the door going vertical and there is about a 6" piece that attaches the widow to the track

now for the manual windows...at least my year (03).....there is no vertical track.....and the metal piece that connects the window to the track ois the length of the window.

i guess the easiest way to ask.....for the power window...minus the wiring and motor...what all did you change in the door to get it done?

not trying to be rude or anything.....just trying to figure it out because i want power windows....and so far you are the only one to post the info
post #6 of Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Quote:
im talking about how the window its self mounts to the manual /power track. all of the power window tracks mount near the center of the door going vertical and there is about a 6" piece that attaches the widow to the track

now for the manual windows...at least my year (03).....there is no vertical track.....and the metal piece that connects the window to the track ois the length of the window.

i guess the easiest way to ask.....for the power window...minus the wiring and motor...what all did you change in the door to get it done?

not trying to be rude or anything.....just trying to figure it out because i want power windows....and so far you are the only one to post the info
i didnt have to change anything to mount the window from the manual to power. both of my tracks mounted to the window the same way. both the tracks were the length of the window. two screws on the bottom of the window bolt onto both tracks on the left and right side. i wish i would have taken some more pics, but i wasent sure i was going to make a write up. maybe one day if i have some spair time, i can take some stuff apart and take some more pics.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
post #7 of Old 05-22-2009, 05:45 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01dakotaqc View Post
i didnt have to change anything to mount the window from the manual to power. both of my tracks mounted to the window the same way. both the tracks were the length of the window. two screws on the bottom of the window bolt onto both tracks on the left and right side. i wish i would have taken some more pics, but i wasent sure i was going to make a write up. maybe one day if i have some spair time, i can take some stuff apart and take some more pics.
i appreciate it.....maybe ill be able to get some pics of mine and the ones ive seen at the salvage yard and see how they compare to yours
post #8 of Old 05-22-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Quote:
i appreciate it.....maybe ill be able to get some pics of mine and the ones ive seen at the salvage yard and see how they compare to yours
i can get some pics of the old manual tracks if you need them. the window bolts on the same as the power one.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
post #9 of Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 PM
viperkota
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01dakotaqc View Post
i can get some pics of the old manual tracks if you need them. the window bolts on the same as the power one.
that would be great...so i can compare and see if mine are different or what.

also at the yard i was looking at some of the jeeps...and it "appears" to be the same as the dodge ones....hmmm
post #10 of Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 PM
modain
I drive with two feet

This is awesome work and documentation. This should be "stickied"...

Rep to you.

2002 Graphite QC SLT Plus, 4.7L, NV3500, Superchips 3715, HO Cams, 2003 Intake Manifold, Dwight's 65mm TB, 3.92 LSD, R/T rear swaybar, no chrome
2001 Patriot Blue Durango SLT, 4.7L, 545RFE, Superchips 3715, Fastman 68mm TB, Jeep GC TCM, R/T rear swaybar, 3.55 Open (for now)
1999 Forest Green Dakota RC Sport, 2.5L, NV1500, Jeep 4.0L TB, 3.92 LSD

post #11 of Old 05-22-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by modain View Post

Rep to you.
thanks!

i wish i would have taken more pics of the process, but i didnt think i was going to make a write up.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
post #12 of Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 PM
NXNLINE
Will Race For Food

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by modain View Post

Rep to you.

I had the original thread saved, but it was purged, I already contacted Sin about retrieving it, but he said it was gone! I will send him a message!

Put your money where your mouth is " BITCH "

2003 Durango R/T, SCT tuned by Hemifever, K&N cold air, upgrades coming soon!
post #13 of Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
rudeboi

is it the same on the 01- trucks?
post #14 of Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
rudeboi

where can i find a used ctm ?
post #15 of Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
01dakotaqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboi View Post
where can i find a used ctm ?
try searching around at your local junkyard.

2001 dakota r/t R.I.P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: