engine rattle???? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Daktoa 3.9L Reg. Cab
engine rattle????

Ok. I've had this problem with my truck as well as my girlfriends. When I accelerate, or for her, when she is going up a hill, there is a ratteling from the engine bay. It sounds like it's the PCV valve, but I've replaced them and it is still making that noise. It dosent sound like an exhaust rattle. I'm stumped on this.:dontgetit It usuallty happens in the 2-3 thousand RPM range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 AM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota 4x4
Detonation. Run a colder spark plug and the problem will go away.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:30 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Ok. I've had this problem with my truck as well as my girlfriends. When I accelerate, or for her, when she is going up a hill, there is a ratteling from the engine bay. It sounds like it's the PCV valve, but I've replaced them and it is still making that noise. It dosent sound like an exhaust rattle. I'm stumped on this.:dontgetit It usuallty happens in the 2-3 thousand RPM range.
What engine ? Could be the plenum.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
My truck does this. I guess tomorrow I'll check if the plenum is leaking, but I think that it's something else that's rattling in there. Those covers over the headers, I think. They're rusted out from the MI winters.

Probably wouldn't hurt my wallet too much to throw in some colder plugs though
Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2l
I know people always recommend the cooler plugs for pinging and even higher octane gas or a cooler t-stat, but that's more of a patch than a cure. The problem is caused because of lots of buildup in the cylinder and on the valves.

Before you go with the plugs or other work, run a half bottle of SeaFoam through the intake (You can get it at any parts place.) Just warm up the engine, then take off the air cleaner (if you have the 5.2 or 5.9-- with the 4.7, I think you'll have to use a vacuum port) and, engine running, slowly pour in about half of the bottle while not allowing the engine to stall. Turn off the engine, wait 20 minutes (or better yet until the next morning) and run it. You'll leave a big smokescreen on the first drive, but the pinging will be gone.

If it's the 5.2 or 5.9 you need to check if the plenum pan is leaking (a good time to do that is when the air intake is off and before you pour in the SeaFoam, engine off, open the throttle and look down in there for oil on the bottom of the pan)-- the leak doesn't directly cause the pinging, but the oil that burns up in the cylinders and leaves residue does.

I had both of these problems in spades-- SeaFoam cured the pinging, but it came back in a couple weeks before I discovered the plenum pan problem. With a new plenum pan and gasket from Hughes Engines and another SeaFoam treatment, it has been running great now for 2 years. I did put new plugs in at some point, but they are the stock Champions.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
I've Seafoamed a couple times, looks like it's time to check the plenum, fml
Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
G.F.Y racing president

Vehicle: 1997 dodge dakota sport
Send a message via Yahoo to realdeal7369
first things first, as mentioned, check the plenum. if that does look ok. then i would do new one step colder plugs, (mainly in the back for us v8 guys), and also get the 180 thermo. ive done this with my 96 ram years ago. worked like a charm. ram had the m1, 24lb injectors, performance computer too. still did it but light. once i did the thermo swap it got better, then when i read up on the back two cylinders mainly causing the pinging, i swapped out the back two plugs for ones that were a heat range colder, pinging stopped. also did a run-rite additive through the truck while it was running...works similar to the seafoam.

while i had the truck in that configuration, i got 23-24mpg out of it too. truck worked so well, i didn't even need high test in the tank. i think i ran 89 all the time in the ram. wish i could do it all over again, id add gears in the rear, take out the 24lb inj, and put in 21's. id also go with the rt+10 can, with the roller rockers in it, and then work the heads, bet the mileage would be a tick or two better after all that.

changing them all to a one step colder plug wont hurt nothing though.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2l
Just to clarify-- if it's pinging, it will sound like marbles falling on a hardwood floor. Is that the sound you're getting?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:42 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Daktoa 3.9L Reg. Cab
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll check the plenum on the weekend. It isn't a pinging in the engine that I'm hearing....the sound I'm hearing is if you took your PCV valve out and shook it really fast. That's the best way I can describe it.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Thrill Seeker

Vehicle: 98 Dakota RC 3.9
Something else you might check.

I just got this truck about a month ago and I'm just about finished chasing down and fixing all of it's "issues". On my truck, 98 3.9 RC, there is a heat shield over the driver side exhaust manifold. This shield is attached to the ends of two extended manifold studs. The rear spark plug can be a challenge to get out without an extension and swivel. I'm guessing some mechanape tried to remove it without the extension and ended up snapping the rear exhaust manifold bolt just about flush with the head when the plug broke loose and the ratchet slammed down on the extended stud. (I could be wrong, and it failed for some other reason.) That left the shield solidly attached at the front, but the rear was loose. When the engine vibrates, the rear stud bounces around in the manifold bolt hole, and the washer between the stud and manifold is free to vibrate and rattle around. I removed the broken stud and the rattling went away.

I have only three bolts holding the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, but there is no discernible exhaust leak, so I'm not too concerned about that at this point. I believe there is a shield on the pass. side too so check those studs as well.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: