cam sensor? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Engine Modifications Intake Manifolds, Heads, Camshafts, Roller Rockers & Other Engine Parts.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:33 PM
PreparePerformPrevail

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6
cam sensor?

hey i have a 98 dakota 3.9L V6 and i need to change the cam sensor. i know that this is my problem but i dont know where the cam sensor is on my truck. im not very mechanically inclined when it comes to this stuff, but i am a do-it-yourself kind of guy... so any help with this woudl be great
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I bleev u have mai staplr

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
I think on our trucks it's part of or under the distributor??

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 00 dakota, 99 ram 2500
1. take the distributer cap off (2 screws)

2. take out the cam sensor (flat black plate)

3. disconnect plug to fully remove.

reverse process to reinstall. the cam sensor will only fit in the distributer one way so its not that hard
Old 04-24-2009, 04:53 PM
PreparePerformPrevail

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6
thanks alot.. i replaced it the other day and the dakota is back up and running!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
I'm wonderin if I should do this while I've got everything apart. My distributor isn't even visible when the SC is all on. I changed the cap and rotor a few years ago, but have never touched the cam sensor.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Mods Addict

you dont need to. take it out and look at it. it is a magnent so it may have some metal shavings on it. if it does check for other issues around the dist. otherwise just clean it off with a cloth and re install. i had a bad dist where the connecting pin was walking out and cutting my cam sensor. unless you are throwing a code for it i wouldn't worry about replacing it
Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Mods Addict

just saw you changed the cap/rotor a few years ago??? need to do it a lil more often then that
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM

Well considering I only drive the truck on nice days and only in the summer it really isn't that long ago.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: