Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Adobedude

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota R/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2004 4.7 lifter noise

2004 with a 4.7, I change the Mobile 1 oil every 5K. Mobile 1 filter.

I've developed what sounds like a lifter making some noise.
I run Danno lifters in my R/T...So I'm used to the rattle in that truck, but my 04 4.7 never made any noise till last week.

70,000 miles...Is there a history of this is these 4.7's?

Glad I bought the extended warranty...Stealership has been in the tranny twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-14-2009, 04:31 AM
tosterho
Grab life by the horns

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge durango
Modifications: Yokohama at's, fast man tab, powertrax locker, transgo shift kit, propod 3 gage, super hips, addco sway bars, t/s lift
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes there is a history of this and mine has been doing it for a while now. Make sure it's not an exhaust leak from the manifold before doing anything else. If that's not it you'll probably have to change out the hydraulic adjusters(lifters) to make the noise go away. You might as well put some good cams in there while your at it. Air ram sells hydraulic adjusters for the 4.7's. You can forget about the dealership doing anything about the "lifter" noise, imo.

02 Dodge durango 4.7, 32" goodyear wrangler mtr's, afe cold air intake, fastman tb, clutch fan delete, transgo shift kit, superchips, powertrax locker, rancho rs5000 shocks, clear corners, propod 3 gauge pod, nu image gauge face, altezza tail lights
post #3 of 33 Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM
BigBadRed
Recovering a@# thanks AA

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota QC SLT
Modifications: Super Chips, 70mm Throttle body, HO cams, and a sweet flowmaster exhaust

x2 mine have a little bit of a tap on initial cold start but go away shortly after.

HO Cams & HO Manifold + Flows + 4.10's + BBK + K&N + SuperChips =
post #4 of 33 Old 03-16-2009, 05:04 AM
johnquaddakota

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad

mine also has it but only when you first start it and only does it for a minute then is quite as can be so I haven t been to worried,
post #5 of 33 Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
SolidStateS15

Vehicle: 01 Dakota CC 4.7L 4x4

Send a message via AIM to SolidStateS15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquaddakota View Post
mine also has it but only when you first start it and only does it for a minute then is quite as can be so I haven t been to worried,
yeah same here. i always let it idle and warm up till at least the noise goes away anyway. i want to make sure there is good oil flowing before taking off. HLA's just eventually go out. it's a common problem and not that hard to fix, just a bit time consuming. if the noise stops after a few min then you can let it go because that means they are still filling up with oil and working. when the valves are completely worn and they won't hold oil at all then it will continue to tap and sound louder. the oil just drains out when you shut the engine off and when you start back up later you have to wait for them to refill. good ones hold their oil even at rest once pumped up.

if you have this problem though and the tapping goes away soon after starting then they probably aren't bad. a lot of the time you can just remove them and give them a good cleaning, refill, and reinstall. when they are totally dead you can usually tell because the tapping doesn't stop and they are totally useless. you can also try engine oil flushes, marvel mystery oil, and using ATF as a flush. they clean the engine and help penetrate into the smaller parts to remove sludge and buildup. for really clogged HLA's though you will have to manually remove and clean by hand.

- 01 Dak CC 4.7L 4x4 5spd MT, DD
- 85 Toyota Supra MKII, Project car
- 09 Toyota RAV 4, Grocery getter
post #6 of 33 Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 AM
icm62

Vehicle: 2001 QC 4x4 4.7 5m

I tried some Penzoil Platinum oil on my last change, I know the 4.7 is a sludge monster, an unexpected side benefit was the cold start hydraulic lash adjuster tick also went away... Go figure.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM
BigBadRed
Recovering a@# thanks AA

Modifications: Super Chips, 70mm Throttle body, HO cams, and a sweet flowmaster exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by icm62 View Post
I tried some Penzoil Platinum oil on my last change, I know the 4.7 is a sludge monster, an unexpected side benefit was the cold start hydraulic lash adjuster tick also went away... Go figure.
The 4.7 certainly is not a sludge monster. When I pulled my valve covers off around 80,000 they looked like new. They get what many call snot in the oil fill tube, dodge put out a fix for this though.

post #8 of 33 Old 03-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Fluffy
Hi. ImAnAsshole. Bye.

Vehicle: Durango on 24s yo

Send a message via AIM to Fluffy Send a message via Yahoo to Fluffy
What people think is sludge is condensation inside the cap area.
post #9 of 33 Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM
jixer

Vehicle: 03 RC 4.7 4x4

Mine taps like that that for about 30 seconds after you start it after it has been sitting for awhile. Good info, thanks.

post #10 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 AM
tosterho
Grab life by the horns

Modifications: Yokohama at's, fast man tab, powertrax locker, transgo shift kit, propod 3 gage, super hips, addco sway bars, t/s lift

Pennzoil platinum what a waste of money. It's not even fully synthetic!

02 Dodge durango 4.7, 32" goodyear wrangler mtr's, afe cold air intake, fastman tb, clutch fan delete, transgo shift kit, superchips, powertrax locker, rancho rs5000 shocks, clear corners, propod 3 gauge pod, nu image gauge face, altezza tail lights
post #11 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
icm62

Funny thing, you type "4.7 dodge sludge" into Google and a whole bunch of info comes up!
The use of sythetics IMHO is not necessary, given that an engine, in most part, runs on a hydrodynamic wedge just about any low vapor pressure fluid will work. The key is to remove the by products of combustion and cooking of the oil on a regular basis by changing the oil. My truck was bought used and the previous owner didn`t do a good job with regular maintenance as far as I can tell. The higher solvent content of the Penzoil Platinum will remove some of the sludge build up, the fact that it also quietend the nosiy lash adjuster was a nice side benefit. I am more than happy to visit any remaining Chrysler Reman organization with anyone that doesn`t believe the 4.7 is sludge monster, of course they must agree to pick up my tab when they are proven wrong.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 PM
tosterho
Grab life by the horns

Whether it is or not you own one! I haven't had any major problems with my 4.7 and I don't believe they are "sludge monsters". What I believe is the pcv design doesn't allow the engine to fully breathe and that is how it condensates and falls back into the engine. There is a tsb concerning this that I did and I have no condensation at all and at idle I have 40 psi of oil pressure. Oh by the way toyotas and gm and many other vechicles have what you call a "sludge monster" that you could type into google and find many people that have said the same. So don't believe everything you read!

post #13 of 33 Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM
BigBadRed
Recovering a@# thanks AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosterho View Post
Whether it is or not you own one! I haven't had any major problems with my 4.7 and I don't believe they are "sludge monsters". What I believe is the pcv design doesn't allow the engine to fully breathe and that is how it condensates and falls back into the engine. There is a tsb concerning this that I did and I have no condensation at all and at idle I have 40 psi of oil pressure. Oh by the way toyotas and gm and many other vechicles have what you call a "sludge monster" that you could type into google and find many people that have said the same. So don't believe everything you read!
to tosterho. ICM 102,000 miles, regular oil changes, and no sludge for me still runs like a bat out of hell. Many others have the same experience as well with these motors. I guess there is no replacement for regular oil changes to solve sludge issues this may be a big shocker to some people.

post #14 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 AM
icm62

To TosterHo and Big Baddd Red: I know I should know better than match wits with unarmed people but I am sitting on the crapper right now with nothing better to do. I realize that in your myopic minds that taking the valve covers off your individual motors makes you the worlds experts on all things automotive, but may I suggest, to paraphase someone else on this board, take two asprins and shoot yourselves in the morning. Again I paraphase but I only believe half of what I hear and nothing of what I read. My sludge comments came from a former colleague who worked for Ontario Reman, North America's last operating Chrysler Reman where I also worked for six years before moving on to sell Sunnen, Rottler, Hines, DCM tech and Goodsen to engine rebuilders. Not trying to brag, just stating from where I come. As I mentioned in my posts the real culprit to sludge is lack of oil changes, something that apparently we agree on, however one only needs to look towards Porsche with their 15000 to 20000k recommended oil change intervals and an unlimted mileage warranty to realize that some engines are built different than others. The 4.7 has some thinwalls in their castings that has a tendance to cook the oil, it usually shows up under the valve covers and in the crankcase, the crankcase being the issue that is frying many of the 4.7 complaints on the web. I stand by my offer to meet anyone at the local former Chrysler Reman to take a look at their core pile, and when you see the proof I am happy to take your credit card number. Yes I own a Dodge, two in fact and several other vehicles. I bought the Dakota because I wanted a V8 4x4 qc with a manual transmission. Given the inclination the first thing I would change is the motor, the 5.7 is IMHO a better choice for our trucks. Yes other engines have sludge issues, but I really don't care because I don't own one of them. Now please excuse me while I give birth to a Winona Van Norman rep, and wipe myself clean with the Dodge TSB that says don't use oil additives in our motors.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 AM
icm62

OK I am sorry for the mockery, I respect that you are passionate about your rides. That we are all entitled to speak our minds is what makes this part of the world the best place to live. And I am glad to hear that you respect your vehicles by maintaining them well, so many people appear totally ignorant of the responsibility involved in vehicle ownership. And again I apologize for the sarcasm and enjoy your Dakota, I really miss Dodges “Different” campaign, I bought my Dakota because it was different from anything else I could buy, OHC V8, 5-speed manual, high stance, 31” tires, 16x8” wheels, perfect size for my needs, cheap price and nice looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: