General Automotive Discussion Miscellaneous chatter about Dodge Trucks

post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
BLueDurango

Vehicle: '99 Durango
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil Cooler

I've done some searching on this forum and havent found any specific threads about this yet (maybe im looking under the wrong keywords). But does anyone know which brand carrys a good oil cooler for a 5.9 durango? I'm looking for something that will last, not really for towing.
So far I'm concidering: http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...il+cooler+3951
and http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/15-Ro...ooler-Kit.aspx
The second one comes with braded steel lines but the first dosen't, does anyone know where I can but the braded steel lines for the oil cooler without the cooler.
What do you use and how does it work, also is/was it easy to install?

Any thoughts
Thanks

Last edited by BLueDurango; 02-15-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM
9t9-5.2
Home School Valedictorian

Vehicle: 9t9-5.2

The cooler in the second link is typically a more efficient cooler. I had one very similar to it on my Dakota until I thought about selling the truck and I removed it.
Myself, I would go with a cooler with threaded fittings and use braided lines vs. the barbed fittings and hose clamps to secure the hoses.
I used a elec. fan install kit to secure mine to the air conditioner condenser. If you go that route it takes a little time for the install, I removed the front bumper because I put mine in the lower grill area. I also loosened the radiator mounts to be able to access the back side of the condenser.
You can buy the pieces to make up the hoses through Jegs or Summit, unless there is a performance shop in your area that sells the lines and fittings. I can check the length of the hoses I used if you need that info.

There are a couple of pics in this link of mine right after the install. Pic #8 shows one of the lines arched up going to the cooler. At the time I installed it, I needed one more 90*(all I had was a 45*) fitting that I acquired shortly after and installed, eliminating the arch in the line. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/242365...email%2Bdigest

No fear, no doubt, all in balls out

If every American cared enough to purchase one USA made garment per year the impact would be $9 billion. That is a lot of American jobs.

Last edited by 9t9-5.2; 02-15-2009 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2009, 03:38 PM
hskrRT
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Modifications: Lots 'O stuff
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
I would be looking into an aftermarket trans cooler vs an oil cooler. Will benefit you a lot more. Throw in a 180 t-stat into the motor and the oil will be fine.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
ColoDak

Vehicle: '00 Dakota, '09 Kawi

the factory oil pump is not really upto the task of pushing oil a long distance for using an oil cooler. FWIW, I have an oil temp guage on my Dak., even on long distance cruises at 75 mph, it never gets much above 160. You'd be better to keep the trans temps down.

'00 Dak. Q-Cab, Intense Blue, 5.9 360, AWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183475/2

post #5 of 6 Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM
pwhiteelec05

Vehicle: 1997 dakota 4x4

i agree get a tranny cooler, your oil will be fine

If you can see paint you haven't been playing hard enough
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BLueDurango

Vehicle: '99 Durango

Thanks for all of the input. 9t9-5.2 thanks for the pictures, that setup looks great.

I already have a trans cooler sitting in the living room, just haven't had time to flush the trans (switching to full synthetic) and at the same time the lines are disconected install the cooler.

Just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to improve my cars cooling and keep it running longer (plan on keeping this car many more years). So the oil cooler seems unecessary, and an electric fan costs about 300+ (I keep out of traffic anyway). Any other advice on extending motor life?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: