98 3.9 Dakota slow take off - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2.5L/3.7L/3.9L Engines Questions regarding the I4 and V6 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dakota SLT 3.9 V-6
98 3.9 Dakota slow take off

My 1998 Dakota has a 3.9 and is an automatic. It is super slow on the take off and at the beginning feels like the tranny is gone. But after the truck gets going all is fine until I get to the next red light. Any Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota
Mine does that sometimes once it is warmed up. It is a little slow, then around 1800-2K rpm it begins to get moving pretty swiftly.

How many miles are on your truck? It could also be the gearing in the back, as I think the autos are a higher gear (numerically lower) then the sticks. Mine has 3.73s in the back along with the limited slip which help.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 AM

Mine has a whopping 170,000 miles. The motor seems strong, no smoke. But hot or cold it feels like I am towing a house when I start. I also noticed it does nothing when I punch the pedal to the floor. Really, I am confused, the check engine light is on and it is using alot of gasoline.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
bwdakrt

Pull the code. I would be willing to bet it's either the O2 sensor or your cat is clogged up.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Ugliest Truck on here!!!

Vehicle: 1996 Dakota CC V6 5Speed
Reputation: 201 96BlkDak is a splendid one to behold96BlkDak is a splendid one to behold96BlkDak is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to 96BlkDak
I just past 232k on my 3.9 and mine pulls strong still. Doesnt burn oil or leak. I however have almost no additional power over 3000rpm.

I would agree with bwdakrt that its a O2 sensor or a clogged cat.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM

I tried the on/off procedure and I could not get it to work. I did it both 3 times in a row and 4, but niether worked. I finally reset the thing by pulling the negative on the battery. Lets see if that does anything.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM

If I put a straight pipe in place of the cat (if that is the problem) would their be any negative affects (aside from the obvious environmental ones)? Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 02:22 AM

The check engine light came back on. I will try to make it to AutoZone tomorrow and see what codes come up. Man, a R/V has more pep taking off than this thing. Also, passing gear never happens. If I punch it, it is just slowly goes faster. It does have run ok above 45 mph. The problem is getting there.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Dakota R/C 3.9L 5sp
Does the engine sound any bit abnormal? I had my cat clog 2 years ago the feeling was basically what you describe you have no power no matter what you do, the easiest way to describe it is you basically ONLY have power in your peak torque curve and thats about it. Does it rev fast in neutral? do you get a fair bit of exhaust out the back or not very much? Does the engine heat up very quickly? The easiest and most sure way without pulling your exhaust is to hook a Vac. guage to your motor to diagnose that problem (it'll go from a normal 20ish hg to about zero idling)

Also if you remove the cat and straight pipe it, it will be significantly louder as well especially if you still ahve the stock muffler. Being an OBD-II truck you might get some CEL from it too but I have no idea on that.
1991 Dakota R/C 3.9L 5-Speed ~ Lowered 3" in the Front and 3-1/2" Rear, Bilstien HD Shocks all around, Addco 1-1/8" F. and 7/8" R. Sway Bars, Power Stop Cross-Drilled Rotors w/ Hawk Pads, 8-1/4" Rear-end with 3.90 Gears and a Detroit Locker sitting on 17x9" Crager Black Soft 8's with 275/40/17 BFGs out back, K&N with modded Airhat, Offroad exhaust with Flowmaster 40, MSD 6A and Super Conductor 8.5mm Wires. And much much more to come soon
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 AM

Man Maybe this forum just helped me figure this out. I found a link for a pdf service manual and while looking at the recommended service intervals I found something unusual to me. Adjusting the frint band of an automatic trans. Could that be why my truck is such a dog?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Dakota R/C 3.9L 5sp
That could solve the problem, If I am not mistaken the front band is also your kickdown band too. Provided this is indeed a transmission problem. Try adjusting your bands and replace your transmission fluid/filter.
1991 Dakota R/C 3.9L 5-Speed ~ Lowered 3" in the Front and 3-1/2" Rear, Bilstien HD Shocks all around, Addco 1-1/8" F. and 7/8" R. Sway Bars, Power Stop Cross-Drilled Rotors w/ Hawk Pads, 8-1/4" Rear-end with 3.90 Gears and a Detroit Locker sitting on 17x9" Crager Black Soft 8's with 275/40/17 BFGs out back, K&N with modded Airhat, Offroad exhaust with Flowmaster 40, MSD 6A and Super Conductor 8.5mm Wires. And much much more to come soon
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 AM

When I get it done I will let you know. Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Durango
word

Dude, what's the word on the band adjustments? My 02 Durango 5.9 auto is doing the same thing...no power on take off!

I am waiting to see before I dump all my fresh fluid?? I had an ASE guy tell me "never adjust the bands" now why the hell would Chrysler build them in there...or maybe I just met the ONE guy that can out engineer Chrysler's team
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Happy Hooker

Vehicle: 1997 Sport Dak
How does the exhaust sound? I was offroading and a limb kicked up and busted everything in my cat up.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Limp mode!

Might kick you into protection mode (3rd gear I believe) and you will start in that, and not downshift. It will be sluggish until like 35mph, then it will pick up. Limp mode is triggered by your computer trying to protect your engine/tranny so it locks it into 3rd gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: