Lost my brake lights - Dakota Durango Forum
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Taz_FL

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota QuadCab
Modifications: my truck, motorcycles, fishing, family
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lost my brake lights

Noticed today that both left and right side brake lights as well as third brake light were not working. My taillights,blinkers and back up lights work but not my brake lights. I looked in the fuse box to see if it showed a fuse for brake lights and could not find a fuse listed. i also looked in the owners manual but it doesn't say anything about a fuse for the brake lights.
I'm thinking it could possibly be the switch up under the dash but am not posative, just seems to make sense. Does anyone know what else could be the problem? Right now I have no brake lights so any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 AM
rtgrouchman

Vehicle: 2001 "Amber Fire" R/T RC

That's a little odd, my guess is the same as yours though, since none of the lights work.........I would try the pedal switch first!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Little Blue Guy
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Modifications: Installed every option
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

You have 2 separate circuits for the brake lights and the 3rd brake light....so I doubt the fuse will be the problem....I say it's your brake light switch.

Does everything else work? Dome light? Lighter? Horn?

There is a fuse for the brake lights, I'm not sure which fuse it is offhand.

All our cars are here --> http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/A383Wing

post #4 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 AM
suprchgd99rango
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade

Vehicle: 99 dakota r/t

Send a message via AIM to suprchgd99rango
check the relay on the back of the fuse panel thats under the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlajustin View Post
Dont put the Pussy on a Pedestal! J/K it is the best, now that I think about it, its like a snuggie for my penis

post #5 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Taz_FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Blue Guy View Post
You have 2 separate circuits for the brake lights and the 3rd brake light....so I doubt the fuse will be the problem....I say it's your brake light switch.

Does everything else work? Dome light? Lighter? Horn?

There is a fuse for the brake lights, I'm not sure which fuse it is offhand.
Dome light & horn both work, everything else seems to be working, didn't notice anything else not working. I bet it is the brake light switch, thing that sucks is at 6' and 280 Lbs. it's a royal pain in the ass to try and work up under the dash, have a hard time fitting down in the floorboard. Wonder what it would cost to have the dealer fix it?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
bwdakrt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
This guy had the same problem and cured it after replacing the TR TOW fuse. Top one with the red arrow. http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...6&postcount=17
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Boomin5POINT9
I bleev u have mai staplr

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T
Modifications: Automobile Customization, Mobile Electronics

Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
If that doesn't cure it. It's easy enough to test the brake switch if you've got a test light. If you get under the dash (I know you said you have a hard time so maybe have a friend do it.) If you look at the brake switch you will see the wires coming from the plug. There should be one that is White with a tan stripe. Probe that wire, or probe the pin where it goes into the switch, and with the other end of your test light grounded, press the brake pedal. The light should light up.

- Troy

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Taz_FL

thanks for the responses everyone and Bwdakrt thanks for the link to the other post with the diagram. On the diagram it listed the fuse as "brake" on my fuse cover it listed it as "ST LMP" I understand that LMP stands for lamp whats the ST (Stop.... ?) Anyway once I saw those diagrams and looked at those fuses I found the one I circled in blue was blown. it was a very fine brake and hard to see, when I looked at the fuses yesterday I looked right over it. It was one of the square fuses where the top is clear. Anyway brake lights work now, well except for the third brakelight but I'm thinking it might be the bulb cause all the other fuses look ok. Anyway i circled the one that was the culprit.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Boomin5POINT9
I bleev u have mai staplr

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T
Modifications: Automobile Customization, Mobile Electronics

Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
yes "ST" is Stop

- Troy

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
bwdakrt

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz_FL View Post
thanks for the responses everyone and Bwdakrt thanks for the link to the other post with the diagram. On the diagram it listed the fuse as "brake" on my fuse cover it listed it as "ST LMP" I understand that LMP stands for lamp whats the ST (Stop.... ?) Anyway once I saw those diagrams and looked at those fuses I found the one I circled in blue was blown. it was a very fine brake and hard to see, when I looked at the fuses yesterday I looked right over it. It was one of the square fuses where the top is clear. Anyway brake lights work now, well except for the third brakelight but I'm thinking it might be the bulb cause all the other fuses look ok. Anyway i circled the one that was the culprit.
Excellent!! Glad you got them working!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM
acr242004

Vehicle: 04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

I had the same problem with my 04 Dakota change fuse but also still have no 3rd brakelight any ideas how to get it working. bulb is good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dakota Durango Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: