Painting vent visors - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exterior Cosmetics Parts Info Links : Body Kits * Hoods * Bumper Covers * Roll Pans * Spoilers

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 PM

Painting vent visors

Ok, I need some help on how to paint some vent visors I plan on getting. I want to paint them red to match my truck. I already have the paint in a spray can. The vent visors I am ordering are black so that shouldn't be a problem to paint over will it? Do I have to sand them and primer, OR can I just paint them the way they are? What are the steps I need to do?

Thanks!

QUAD SQUAD MEMBER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 AM
That's my stapler.

Vehicle: 2003 408ci Dakota R/T
Reputation: 127 SinCity R/T is a glorious beacon of lightSinCity R/T is a glorious beacon of light
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SinCity R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by duketter
Ok, I need some help on how to paint some vent visors I plan on getting. I want to paint them red to match my truck. I already have the paint in a spray can. The vent visors I am ordering are black so that shouldn't be a problem to paint over will it? Do I have to sand them and primer, OR can I just paint them the way they are? What are the steps I need to do?

Thanks!
It would certainly be better to sand them down and primer them first - it only costs a couple of bucks for some good sandpaper and a can of spray primer, I think the end results (especially long-term appearance) will benefit from the extra work.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango
Send a message via AIM to drsnoze
make sure you use plastic adhersion promoter!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Ok, can you guys tell me the steps then and what I all need. All I have right now is the can of red spray paint (that matches my truck) and vent visors. I need sand paper, primer, plastic adhersion promoter? What type of sand paper? Do I sand it, prime it, sand it, prime it and then paint?

Or maybe I should just leave them the smoked (black) color. I have a black tonneau cover and other black trim. What do you guys think?

QUAD SQUAD MEMBER

Last edited by duketter; 06-02-2005 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango
Send a message via AIM to drsnoze
200-350 grit paper and scuff the suraface. spray the adhesion promoter primer and sand again with 350. then ahesion promoter primer and then spray color. make sure to read instructions on the products

it you fell uneasy take it to a body shop they should do it for like 20-50 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: