A/C compressor always running? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota/2005 Durango
Send a message via AIM to scarface
A/C compressor always running?

on my 99 Dakota whenever the HVAC is on any position other than off the compressor cycles? Is this normal?

If it isnt, any ideas how to stop it? My gas milage is poor with the 5.2 to start with, this cant be helping.

Thanks
-Dave

Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Clubcab 7.2L
Reputation: 181 70Cuda383 is a name known to all70Cuda383 is a name known to all
probably not normal. I think the HVAC switch is a vacuum switch since it's primary function is to control which vents are open/closed which all operates off engine vacuum. maybe there's a vacuum operated relay that's stuck closed, turning the compressor on all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota Q.C.
Does it run all the time? Or does it just cycle every so often....... if it runs all the time, then you could have either a bad ambient air temp sensor,switch. etc. Could be as simple as a bad ground (bad grounds wreak absolute havoc with electrical systems. You could also have a stuck relay (which i would check first).......if it is cycling all the time on you, then pull the A/C compressor clutch relay out of the power distribution box for the time being.

on a side note, most systems are designed now to cycle when you put the HVAC into defrost mode, to help eliminate dried out seals and seized up compressors due to lack of use in winter months.....
Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
On your vehicle this is normal it only cycles when it needed for temp correction. It is also on with the heater to keep your windshield from fogging up!

Don't worry just drive that bitch! LOL!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakudaman View Post
On your vehicle this is normal it only cycles when it needed for temp correction. It is also on with the heater to keep your windshield from fogging up!

Don't worry just drive that bitch! LOL!
so it should cycle all the time whenever the HVAC switch is on? it cycles every 10-20 seconds regardless of outside temps.

Its not really hurting anything, I was just curious. I only has 60k on her, and I try and keep up with everything that may be going wrong.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
This is correct my friend!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Don't be "That Guy"

Vehicle: 98 Dakota Clubcab 7.2L
Reputation: 181 70Cuda383 is a name known to all70Cuda383 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhaley View Post
Does it run all the time? Or does it just cycle every so often....... if it runs all the time, then you could have either a bad ambient air temp sensor,switch. etc. Could be as simple as a bad ground (bad grounds wreak absolute havoc with electrical systems. You could also have a stuck relay (which i would check first).......if it is cycling all the time on you, then pull the A/C compressor clutch relay out of the power distribution box for the time being.

on a side note, most systems are designed now to cycle when you put the HVAC into defrost mode, to help eliminate dried out seals and seized up compressors due to lack of use in winter months.....
sort of....

it's not to prevent seals from drying out from non-use, its to dry the air out so you're blowing dry air onto the windshield which helps pull the water vapor (fog) off the glass.

you know how in the summer time your AC drips water out? that's because the air blowing over the cold coils cools the air down, and any water in the air will condense, fall out of the air and form water drops that eventually drip out onto the ground, giving you cold dry air. this air then goes over the heater core and heats back up. now you have hot dry air to help defrost/defog your windows in the cold winter months. the heat helps melt any ice that formed on the outside, but the dry air blowing on the inside helps keep the water vapor that forms fog on the inside of your window clear. this fog comes from your breathing, rain that dries off your coat when you get inside, snow on your shoes that melts and evaporates into the air, etc.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakudaman View Post
This is correct my friend!
Sweet! I love it when stuffs not broken.... now if my 05 durango wasnt such a POS...lol
Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 AM
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇʇıן

Vehicle: '94 Dodge Dakota Sport
Reputation: 582 Little Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up thereLittle Blue Guy is getting up there
read here also -----> http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68509

Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM
O/D off = Hardass mode on

Vehicle: 1999, Dodge, Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to 99v6Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface View Post
Sweet! I love it when stuffs not broken.... now if my 05 durango wasnt such a POS...lol
Don't we all haha
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: