2000 Durango stalling problem - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango
2000 Durango stalling problem

My wifes 2000 Durango with a 5.9 stalls while driving with no restart untill it sits when it stalls gauges don't work and it reads no bus it has been to the dealer several times with no luck I found it to have a bad idle motor replaced it and the stalling problem happened less but still there when it stalls and you leave the key on and wiggle the wires at the pcm you hear the fuel pump relay click and it starts right away but quits after driving it.
This is not a safe situation with my wife and children in the truck cause you don't have brakes or power steering and it has happened on the interstate before and yes I tried another pcm with no luck it seems to be a problem related to heat cause when its cooler outside it runs fine.
58000 miles perfect condition eccept for the stalling oil change ever 3000 mile all services have been done on time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 04:21 AM
Ford Recovery Vehical

Vehicle: 02 Durango R/T
My girlfriends 98 did the same thing to me one day, was driving along with a 1/4 tank of fuel next thing i knew the gauge read empty the overhead console said 0 miles and the hungry light came on and outa nowhere it shut of kinda like your saying. Let it sit a minute and it started and was fine for like a mile. Long story shrt it did it to me like 4 times before i got home. Started wiggling the ground wires by the ac compressor and the fuel pump kicked on and started. Ended up being a shitty terminal to one of the grounds by the a/c. fixed it and it never happened again. Check your grounds ill bet its the problem
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !!

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotsur View Post
My wifes 2000 Durango with a 5.9 stalls while driving with no restart untill it sits when it stalls gauges don't work and it reads no bus it has been to the dealer several times with no luck I found it to have a bad idle motor replaced it and the stalling problem happened less but still there when it stalls and you leave the key on and wiggle the wires at the pcm you hear the fuel pump relay click and it starts right away but quits after driving it.
This is not a safe situation with my wife and children in the truck cause you don't have brakes or power steering and it has happened on the interstate before and yes I tried another pcm with no luck it seems to be a problem related to heat cause when its cooler outside it runs fine.
58000 miles perfect condition eccept for the stalling oil change ever 3000 mile all services have been done on time
I've had 2 clients with 2000 'rangos that had this problem. It turned out to be a bad PCM each time. PCM would get hot, and start acting goofy, then no-buss. New PCM fixed 'em both.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Durango
1999 Durango Still Stalls

This is exactly the problem I'm having.

1999 Durango 5.9 AT 4WD

It randomly stalls. Then you're unable to restart it for 5-10 minutes, then all is well for a day or so.

I've replaced the fuel pump, coil, rotor & cap, crankshaft position sensor, TPS. Last week I replaced the ECM, but the problem is still there. I'm thinking I should replace the IAC valve, any other thoughts?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota CC 4.7L 4x4
Thats your PCM goin down the hole
-Flow 40 Dumped -265/75R16
General Grabber AT2's
Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 PM

I just changed the ECM (you call it a PCM). Do you think it's defective?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota CC 4.7L 4x4
Try unplugging the PCM(ECM) for about 30 seconds, should be three plugs. Then hook them back up and if your truck starts right up, im willing to bet that its the pcm. But since you've already replaced it, its unlikly, but possible that you got a deffectice pcm. But you said your getting a NO-BUS message, which means that there is no communication to the computer. Did you buy a brand new PCM? If so, have you had it programmed yet?

Your auto shutdown relay could be bad, causeing the truck to unknowingly shut off. Its in the fuse box next to the battery.
-Flow 40 Dumped -265/75R16
General Grabber AT2's
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 AM

I bought a rebuilt ECM from autocomputerexchange.com. I figured they knew what they were doing, but maybe not?

I'll try swapping the auto shutdown relay with something else and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: