What's a good easy engine swap for a 4.7L - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 4.7L Dodge Durango
What's a good easy engine swap for a 4.7L

I'm looking to replace a first Gen 4.7L out of a 2000 Durango. I've not found anyone local that will do the 5.7L swap. Is the 2000 5.9L RT swap an option or any other swap with minimal wiring issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: ​
Reputation: 184 HemiDak is a name known to allHemiDak is a name known to all
The 5.7L is your best option.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 03 Dakota QC
Reputation: 137 Jecht is a glorious beacon of lightJecht is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKota2k View Post
The 5.7L is your best option.
of course you would say this

yeah go with the 5.7 if your going to spend the money on an engine swap. might as well go fwd and not backwards.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
www.AIRRAM.com

Vehicle: 2002 QC RAM 4.7L *SOLD*
If you must do a swap then go with a 6.1L! It will bolt in just like any 5.7L ... just bigger.

But you could build a 4.7L to make more HP then a mildly built HEMI for less then it would cost to drop in a stock HEMI/PCM/HARNES/CUSTOM BRACKETS... The 4.7L would be a direct bolt in PLUG & PLAY swap as well.

Yeah once you have a HEMI you would have more potential... I will not argue that. But For about the same amount of money it would cost to drop in a stock HEMI you could build a 375-400HP 4.7L...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Mods Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR_RAM View Post
If you must do a swap then go with a 6.1L! It will bolt in just like any 5.7L ... just bigger.
Except the programming issue and it being 3-4x more than a 5.7L.

Quote:
But you could build a 4.7L to make more HP then a mildly built HEMI for less then it would cost to drop in a stock HEMI/PCM/HARNES/CUSTOM BRACKETS... The 4.7L would be a direct bolt in PLUG & PLAY swap as well.

Yeah once you have a HEMI you would have more potential... I will not argue that. But For about the same amount of money it would cost to drop in a stock HEMI you could build a 375-400HP 4.7L...
He said he was looking to replace the 4.7L, not upgrade it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 PM
www.AIRRAM.com

And I agreed that if he where to upgrade it why sell yourself short with a 5.7L when you could just put in a 6.1L... Go big or go home! I mean if your going to go through all the trouble with an ENGINE/PCM/HARNESS transplant then why go with a smaller 5.7L? The 6.1L is the better of the two and they will take the same amount of time and extensive work to complete.

Now I only brought up building his current 4.7L because he could EASILY make HEMI HP for less then a HEMI SWAP and it would be a DIRECT SWAP "PLUG & PLAY" engine... And he could make even MORE then HEMI HP with a good build up . When you did your swap there was little to nothing that could be done to the 4.7L... So a HEMI swap was a valid alternative and the cost where justified... but that's not the case today and many people dont know whats available for the 4.7L engine... so they just assume nothing can be done.

FYI: There is NO programing issue with the 2000 4.7L... SCT can handle EVERYTHING needed to build a 4.7L to what ever HP level your looking for. Its no longer limited to the factory PCM or a worthless "FLASH" that never workes... SCT can adjust your engine for N/A or Supercharged... So again, PCM issues with the 4.7L are in the past and have been for quite a while.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-15-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM
www.AIRRAM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecht View Post
of course you would say this

yeah go with the 5.7 if your going to spend the money on an engine swap. might as well go fwd and not backwards.
I agree... but why not go with a 6.1L for MORE CUBES and the same amount of trouble?

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Mods Addict

Quote:
I agree... but why not go with a 6.1L for MORE CUBES and the same amount of trouble?
Because you can make a 5.7L MUCH more powerful for the cost of a stock 6.1L.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 AM
SRT-8 Dakota

Vehicle: 2003 Dakota Stampede
Send a message via AIM to 03DakStampede
Last time i checked the price of a 6.1 was about $2000 more then the price of a 5.7 with all accessories, harness and comp. Go with the 5.7. Granted if your not wanting to build hp and go fast then go with the 4.7. Of coarse if cost is an issue then deffantly go with a stock 4.7 or 5.9
Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Mods Addict

I haven't seen a 6.1L go for less than $5000 in a long time. Most of the 5.7L's I have seen are almost always below $2000, and getting one for less than $1500 isn't very hard.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 AM
www.AIRRAM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03DakStampede View Post
Last time i checked the price of a 6.1 was about $2000 more then the price of a 5.7 with all accessories, harness and comp. Go with the 5.7. Granted if your not wanting to build hp and go fast then go with the 4.7. Of coarse if cost is an issue then deffantly go with a stock 4.7 or 5.9
LOL Now that's FUNNY! My current N/A 4.7L will leave most HEMI's way behind...And thats just with bolt on's. Never mind building one.

But I'm willing to bet this will make more HP for less money then a HEMI SWAP! And it will be cheaper!

And before somone try's to quote what the original question was... I will quote it again to save you time:

Quote:
What's a good easy engine swap for a 4.7L
And I say the answer to that is build another 4.7L!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Quad Cab Dakota 4x4
Quote:
LOL Now that's FUNNY! My current N/A 4.7L will leave most HEMI's way behind...And thats just with bolt on's. Never mind building one.

But I'm willing to bet this will make more HP for less money then a HEMI SWAP! And it will be allot cheaper!

And before somone try's to quote what the original question was... I will quote it again to save you time:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Did you factor in the cost of grinding off that blue oval?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:01 AM
www.AIRRAM.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoon View Post
Did you factor in the cost of grinding off that blue oval?
NOPE... because its an EATON M112.... Since the snout extension kit will replace the SVT stamped snout there is little chance anyone will know where the blower came from unless you told them. Its just there because we have not gotten to that step yet

The EATON M112 is enough to make 450-500RWHP on the 4.7L... Should you go with the WHIPPLE CHARGER (13-28PSI) you could make more then 650RWHP with just under 19psi...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-16-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: nope
Quote:
Should you go with the WHIPPLE CHARGER (13-28PSI) you could make more then 650RWHP with just under 19psi...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
now this i am liking

the 5.7 would be a good swap and there are tons of parts for them
i would much rather say yeah its a little bitty 4.7 than to say...yeah its got a (fake) hemi

and for those that dont know...the new hemi is not a real hemi...though its output is just as close if not greater than the real one along with efficiency
Old 11-16-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
I agree. I dont think the 4.7 is a bad motor. yeah there was nothing for it because right after the 4.7 came out the hemi came out and everyone went OOOHHH AAAHHH HEMI and the 4.7 got left behind. There are tons of these motors in dodges and jeeps. besides I always think its way more fun to kick the s**t out of a bigger motor with a smaller motor. its especially funny when you see the owners of the so called faster vehicles say no way I jsut got beat by a take your pick.
For the EASIEST most SIMPLE way to get your truck back on the road is to swap it with the same motor it came in the truck. No mess no fuss. Also you need to think about smog laws if you have them in your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilbrad View Post
Who the fuck cares??? Taylor Swift could sing Jingle Bells, but god damn, I'd give her thighs the privelage of meeting both sides of my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: