Dakota Durango Forum banner

Adding OEM Heated Mirrors

25K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  mbudden 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Quad Cab SLT Plus that came with 5x7 power mirrors. I bought used OEM 6x9 power mirrors and noticed that the power connector was identical, even though the 6x9 mirrors are heated. So, I figured that they probably used the same wiring harness whether you had heated mirrors or not. I then purchased a used OEM heater control that had the defrost button below the AC button. The connectors were exactly the same on the back of the heater controls also. My understanding was that this heater control was designed to turn on both the heated mirrors and a rear defroster (which I don't have). I purchased the heater control from used auto parts dealer on ebay, and he said it came out of a 2004 Dodge 1500, but it would also work on a 2003-2004 Dakota. I installed it and pushed the button and the light stays on for about 10 minutes each time I push it, but the mirrors DO NOT heat up. I checked the fuse box located on the side of the dash and there is a 10 Amp fuse labeled "Heated Mirrors", and it seems fine. Is there something else I need to do to get the mirrors to heat up? Could it be that the heater control is not compatible with the Dakota? Do I need to install a relay somewhere?

#43 ·
Haven't found the glass yet I'm stopping by a local place this week but for my money I would replace just the new glass with the attached heating elements rather than taking a chance on a whole used mirror.
I will shit bricks if they want more than $75 for the glass and element.

#47 ·
I've got a 1998 Durango with the OEM rear-window defroster and the button (located on the bottom of the dash, below the HVAC controls). I have standard 6x9 mirrors. From what I've been reading, am I correct that all I need are the heated mirrors... and that they plug in with the same connector used for the non-heated mirrors?

Also, since I already have a rear-window defroster, do I need to add this EBL relay I've read about?

Thanks, folks.

Russ

#49 ·
Bumping a old thread. But.... I have a question.

I have a 03' Dak with Rear Sliding Window. I don't have power/heated mirrors. But would like heated mirrors. Would the wiring still be in the door? It's cold out so I don't feel like ripping open the door panels. If so would it be as easy as just finding a new HVAC controls with Rear Defroster Button and adding that relay? No extra wiring? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.