oil Weight? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

4.7L/4.7L HO/4.7L Gen II Engines Questions regarding the 4.7L V8 engine

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 AM

oil Weight?

I just Bought a 2000 Dakota QC 4x4 w/ 4.7L V8. It has 56,500 miles. I want to change the oil but dont know if i want to use 5w30 or 10w30. I'm from PA so it dont get below 0 Fareheit very often so im leaning towards 10w30. Is that what you would run??? I dont wanna go synthetic seeing as most of my money is in truck and insurance payments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 03:39 AM
Member since 03'

Vehicle: 03 Dakota, 06 M45
Send a message via AIM to YAAAABUDDY03 Send a message via Yahoo to YAAAABUDDY03
How often do you change your oil?

Now... with than answered... I'm going to assume that you said every 3,000 miles or 3 months... which is the suggested mileage and time for regular oil.

With that said... An average synthetic will run 5,000 miles or more... depending on what you buy and how you drive your truck. My point is... it's relatively cheaper to use sythetic, and considering you have the mileage on your truck that you do... it would be a great transition. ALSO... I don't know if you've heard, but if the previous owner ever put sythetic in it,... and you put regular oil in it afterward... you might be asking for trouble. IMO... any car/truck you buy USED,... you should run sythetic for the first time you change the oil till the extent of that vehicles life.

I use a 10w30 weight.... If you drive granny style, then a 5w might work just fine. It's solely up to you!.... but again... I STRONGLY suggest sythetic oils!!!!!!

Paul
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 PM

What exactly does the synthetic oil do over conventional oil? I just what this truck to last a long time. I was gonna go and get a purolator oil filter is that a good filter? Is mobil 1 synthetic any good? I'll probably go 10w30

Last edited by 47Quad; 03-28-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango SLT
I use mobil 1 oil and filter. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I use the 10w30 and I live in boston and still no problems.
5 DOOR WHORE #1

Click for Pics!!

Westin Bull Bar, PIAA 540's, Billet Fuel Door, 3" Custom CAI w/ K&N filter, Chrome Differential Cover
Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Member since 03'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Quad
What exactly does the synthetic oil do over conventional oil? I just what this truck to last a long time. I was gonna go and get a purolator oil filter is that a good filter? Is mobil 1 synthetic any good? I'll probably go 10w30
"Motor oil serves many purposes. Its primary function is to lubricate and protect, but it also is designed to keep your engine cool and running clean.

Under ideal driving conditions (consistent speed highway driving), conventional motor oils recommended by the vehicle manufacturer work just fine. But for many people, ideal driving conditions are few and far between. In cases of stop and go traffic, short trips, very cold temperatures, very hot temperatures (caused by weather, traffic jams or turbo engines) or towing and hauling, drivers can benefit from the extra protection of synthetics.

Conventional motor oils are made from crude oil that is drilled from the ground and processed in a refinery. Synthetic motor oils are created from special "synthesized" materials and deliver more performance benefits, such as:

Superior protection from engine wear Lower volatility for decreased oil consumption ("volatility" is the tendency of an oil to break down at extreme temperatures) Better gas mileage Easier start-ups at very cold temperatures (because they flow easier) Greater viscosity (the "thickness" of an oil) at very high temperatures Reduced engine deposits, which are the "by-products" of combustion in the engine."

There is some general information for ya.

IMO... if you want your truck to last as long as possible like you said,... by all means... USE SYNTHETIC OIL!!!!!!!!

Paul
Old 03-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Alright thanks, Im gonna use Mobil 1 10w30 w/ purolater filter.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Vehicle: 01 Flat Black X-AWD V8 QC
That's funny.

I came to the site today and this was one specific question I needed answered! Mobil1 10/30 it is!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Member since 03'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDak
That's funny.

I came to the site today and this was one specific question I needed answered! Mobil1 10/30 it is!
I'm glad I could help!

Paul
Old 04-17-2005, 06:46 AM

Way to go Paul.

What have you heard about Mobil's new 15K oil?

I only just heard about it last night on TV.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Member since 03'

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdesigns
Way to go Paul.

What have you heard about Mobil's new 15K oil?

I only just heard about it last night on TV.
Yeah,... I've been hearing about this oil too. It's a brand new product.... from what us costomers know of. I have yet to hear any review on it though.

If you have a lot of highway milage,... I suggest you use it, and see how it holds up. Take a sample of the oil every 3k miles and ever 1k miles the last 10k or something. I have never heard of oil lasting longer than say 5k.... so this is completely new to me.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: