Soft brake pedal - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tires & Brakes Parts Info Links : Wheels * Tires * Brakes
Sponsored by Discount Tire

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 AM

Vehicle: 01 Dakota SLT CC
Unhappy Soft brake pedal

I am new to the message board and am seeking some help with a soft pedal brake problem that I cannot seem to solve. I recently installed the SSBC front rotors and pads along with new calipers (01 DakCC 2wd with rear antilock) and even after bleeding the brakes several times, still have a soft pedal. The ABS and brake lights are not on. If I slam on the brakes at speed, the fronts will not lock up like they did before the brake job.

I have done many brake jobs in the past, but never had a problem like this. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle: '98 Dakota
Send a message via AIM to 71_Demon
if you are sure all the air is out of the system, then try adjusting the rear drums....?

'71 Demon-too many mods to list!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
bwdakrt

I know you said you've bled the brakes several times and you're no rookie to brake jobs, but it still sounds like you have some air in the system in the front. Sometimes it can be a real bitch to get out. Just my .02!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
I also say adjust the rear shoes it will bring your pedal back up!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Soft brake pedal

Thanks for the advice. The 7 yr extended warranty ran out a couple months ago, so I will be doing most of the repairs now and will definitely be referring to this site. I hope I will be able to help others as well.

I will bleed the system again and tighten up the rear brakes. I know that even a small air bubble will reduce braking power -the problem is finding it.

Thanks again

Pete
Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi. ImAnAsshole. Bye.

Vehicle: Durango on 24s yo
Reputation: 128 Fluffy is a glorious beacon of lightFluffy is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Fluffy Send a message via Yahoo to Fluffy
Any new caliper is full of air and it can be a PITA to get all the air out. You can either let it gravity bleed or use a One-Man Bleeder so you can watch to make sure there is no more air.

When I did the calipers on my Durango, I shit you not I went through about a 1/4 of a big bottle of brake fluid before all the air was out.

Quickly read the post above, as it will more than likely be deleted within the hour.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad
It could be that when you bled the brakes, somehow the master cylinder went out on you as well. I have seen thea happen from time to time. Just an idea to toss out there. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Jeep XJ
I would like to know what you figure out about your truck.

"Mud is like a hot chic with an STD, you know the results will be bad but you just gotta hit it."
Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 AM

Thumbs up soft pedal

I bled the front brakes again (gravity bled) and ran about 1 pint through each caliper, then test drove the truck. No change. I then adjusted the rear brakes as advised - i had to crank the star wheel about 4 times per side through the backing plate. Test drove again and I definitely have a higher pedal ( no surprise) and it does feel a bit firmer than before (still a bit mushy). I might try bleeding the entire system again and see what happens.

I have not noticed any of the classis symptoms of master cylinder failure, buit will keep that possibility in mind. You never know!

In the process, I noticed that both front wheel hub assemblies are a little loose (I was getting a little bit of a whine the last week or so). I ordered all the parts (including the non re-useable retaining nuts at $14 a piece from mother Mopar), so I have another repair session with the Dakota this weekend. I found a few other threads with lots of good info on the hubs.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice. Much appreciated.

2001 Dakota SLT CC 4.7, 45RFE, 9.25 LSD, Gibson cat-back, K&N FIPK, SSBC, Superchips, Belltech 2" coils and 3" leafs
1995 Dakota Sport RC 5.9, 46RH, 3.90 gearing, Belltech 2" coils and Western Chassis drop hangers
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to ucimaplaya2
get yourself a set of speed bleeders. They are worth the $20 it will cost you for a full set. They make bleeding easy, fast and a one man job.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ucimaplaya2
Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad
Two words...Master Cylinder. You have done everything else that anyone has suggested. When you bled the brakes and the person or you had been pumping them up had worn out the cups inside. Is normal if you try to bleed brakes like that. Have seen that happen many times. Trust me. Have a nice day.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 AM

I think you are right about the master cylinder - it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and it is a pretty easy job to put on. After bench bleeding the new M/C I will try the one-man bleeder. I actually have one, but for whatever reason never used it.
Thanks again - will let y'all know how it turns out.

2001 Dakota SLT CC 4.7, 45RFE, 9.25 LSD, Gibson cat-back, K&N FIPK, SSBC, Superchips, Belltech 2" coils and 3" leafs
1995 Dakota Sport RC 5.9, 46RH, 3.90 gearing, Belltech 2" coils and Western Chassis drop hangers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: