Multifunction Switch Malfunction ??? PLEASE HELP... - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Interior Parts Seats, Dash Parts, Gauges, other Interior Parts

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 AM

Vehicle: Dodge Durango, 2000, 4WD
Thumbs up Multifunction Switch Malfunction ??? PLEASE HELP...

Ok, I am trying to get my husbands favorite older Durango in great condition before he returns from an Army exercise...so I need some advice. Dodge Durango, 2000.

Here is the issue: All lights work fine on the vehicle, except the turn signals. I read some of other posts about the multifunction switch, but I wanted to get opinions on our truck.

The lights, windshield washers, spray and the bright lights work....but the actual turn signals, left or right don't work. Everything else the switch does works though. I changed the fuses for the turn signal and that did not make a difference. Does this sound like the multifunction switch? Any suggestions on what it might be?

I took it to a Dodge dealership and they said today that it is the multifunction switch and they said the part alone is $300. I looked online and saw no part that was three hundred dollars. I found the whole switch for like $70, so can't I buy it and take it to someone to just put it on. I don't mind paying for labor, but what part could they possibly claim needs to be fixed and the part alone costs 300. We just had work done there last week and I think they are trying to get me. Please let me know what you think.

All opinions welcome. Sorry for sounding "stupid" but when my husband is here he normally handles all car repairs. I just don't want him to return to a car problem. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 12:12 PM
bwdakrt

This is the switch you are looking for http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+Dimmer+Switch and it's $47.99 at NAPA. Sounds like the Stealership is trying to make a little extra lunch money. I'm not exactly sure what it takes to replace it but any good mechanic should be able to do the job for you.

First off, it may be something as simple as the turn singal flasher needing to be replaced. I'd check that first before you start spending a lot of money on unnecessary parts and labor.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
i replaced the switch in my old ranger. it was two screws and a plug... i agree with bwdakrt though, it could be alot simpler.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
As said above check the flasher, see if the emergency flasher work if not, then the flasher is bad, if it does work I would say the switch. If you can't figure it out PM Steve to come fix it for you. LOL!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to ucimaplaya2
yup as said above make sure its not the flasher first. On a 2000 the flasher is located under the drivers side of the dash on the backside of the fuse panel. It is a little green box that looks like a relay. You can pick up another one from a parts store, just grab an ep-27 flasher off the shelf for about $12-13. Most parts stores stock them with the other flashers in the light bulb and fuse aisles. Dont bother ordering the original flasher as its the same thing and they charge $40+ for it. I dont know whats different about it other than its green still and an ep-27 is black.... other than that their internals seem to be the same too.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ucimaplaya2
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2003, Dodge, Dakota Quad
Completely lost please help, out of options!!!!!!!!

Good morning all, so I will try to short.

A few weeks ago I was driving home from work and my wipers and washer quit on me. So step one, I checked all fuses and relays ALL were good. Step two I ordered a new wiper motor w/ linkage from the dealer and installed it, STILL nothing working. Step three, ordered the multifunction switch and replaced that, but no of course still nothing working. So I used a test light to check every wire in the wire harness that plugs to the back of the multifunction switch and I found that I have no power the the wiper and washer wires (14-19 on the harness) this was from the Haynes Manuel. I am on my last straw can anyone assist me with this please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: