how to turn on 4 wheel drive - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

FAQ's, Tips & Tricks Helpful technical information.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango SLT
how to turn on 4 wheel drive

I just bought an 01 durango. It has the 2wd/4hi/4low selector switch on the dash. I put it in 4 wheel drive and can here the little actuator motor working but cant tell if it is in. also, when i switch it to 4 low, the little light flashes and i dont really notice a difference. this is my first 4 wheel drive so I am trying to learn all of this. also i have no owners manual for info this is why i ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Benz Tech

Vehicle: 2001 Durango SLT+
2hi to 4hi can be done while in motion or stopped. if in motion shifts can be made up to 55 mph. if stopped ignition must be in the on position with engine running or off. to go into 4lo the trans MUST be in neutral. can be shifted while moving at 2-3 mph or while stopped. just remember trans MUST be in neutral. for all positions, if the light is flashing then transfer case did not engage that gear. hope that helps.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 AM
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota
Reputation: 197 Jarheadoo7 is a name known to allJarheadoo7 is a name known to all
i like to switch to neutral if possible to switch.. but i guess you can do the switch to 4HI up to 50 MPH.
i just put it in neutral flip the switch, watch the light.. then back to drive...

for 4 lo the light will flash until it fully engages...

when using 4 low DO NOT rev up the engine (ie playin int he snow or mud).

if you wanna see if the 4wheel is engaged, drive it in 2wd to a nice level blacktop parking lot and hit the switch and make a few tight turns youll hear the front tires chirping.. this isnt so good for the system but a quick test wont kill it..

im sure other people will have different ways.. lets see what we come up with..
Old 04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
99 Problems

Vehicle: a crappy one
I always put my truck in neutral . I have a 5 speed tho so its pretty easy for me. I would also suggest from my experiences to only put it in 4wheel if your 30mph or less. when doing it at slower speeds it will kick in right away, rather than blinking and then kicking in. I say keep it under 30mph just to be safe.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03'Dakota View Post
I always put my truck in neutral . I have a 5 speed tho so its pretty easy for me. I would also suggest from my experiences to only put it in 4wheel if your 30mph or less. when doing it at slower speeds it will kick in right away, rather than blinking and then kicking in. I say keep it under 30mph just to be safe.
I change mine above 40 all the time with no ill effects. No need for neutral either (although if I had a manual I probably would too).
Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Mods Addict

Vehicle: 03 Dakota QC
Reputation: 137 Jecht is a glorious beacon of lightJecht is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarheadoo7 View Post
if you wanna see if the 4wheel is engaged, drive it in 2wd to a nice level blacktop parking lot and hit the switch and make a few tight turns youll hear the front tires chirping.. this isnt so good for the system but a quick test wont kill it..

im sure other people will have different ways.. lets see what we come up with..

one easier way is when your in 4wd and you drive down the road just move your steering wheel back and forth a lil. it will feel like it has more resistance than in 2wd. also from a dead stop floor it and if the tires dont spin then its in 4wd

also its a good idea to enguage it once in awhile (if you dont go 4 wheeling like me) driving on a straight peice of road to keep things lubricated and working. I do it once a month.

4lo like others have said it needs to be in neutral and at either a dead stop or moving slowly. if not the light will only blink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: