Fuel Gauge NOT Working. - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen III Dakotas 1997-2004 Dakota-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Vehicle: 2000 QuadCab
Fuel Gauge NOT Working.

I'm looking at a 2000 to 2003 Dak. I was told that the fuel gauge doesn't work. What all is involved in getting this to work. Is is the gauge, sender or something else? Does this happen often? Etc etc etc......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 10:17 PM
All I wanted was a Pepsi

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota R/T CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotanut View Post
I'm looking at a 2000 to 2003 Dak. I was told that the fuel gauge doesn't work. What all is involved in getting this to work. Is is the gauge, sender or something else? Does this happen often? Etc etc etc......
This is a pretty common (and annoying) problem in the Daks. I think it is more prevalent in the Gen II Daks, but I do believe some guys here have had issues in their Gen IIIs. Fortunately, mine is still operating as it should.

Unfortunately, I don't know the source of the problem. Hopefully others will chime in.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 AM
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Reputation: 171 hskrRT is a name known to allhskrRT is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
You'd have to drop te fuel tank and replace the fuel pump/filter assembly.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Does it mean that they let the fuel get low or run out? Has Dodge done anything about it? Recalls or fixes to this problem?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I bleev u have mai staplr

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
It isn't a safety issue, so no recall. Lettng the tank get too low has nothing to do with it. There is an arm witha float attached that moves up and down, when it does, 2 contacts move along a board with more contacts on it and that gives the signal. Well those contacts can wear out or break off and the gauge will stop working.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Ok. That is what I wanted to hear. You know what? I've had to replace or drop the tank on just about every car I've owned. I'm kinda getting tired of it. I don't think I'll buy this truck. It is in good shape and he replaced all the brakes and stuff. I just don't want to mess with dropping the tank. I hate running out of fuel too.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
Take off the bed, then you don't have to drop the tank...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Boomin5POINT9 Send a message via Yahoo to Boomin5POINT9
^^^ exactly! That's what I always do. It's so much easier believe it or not. 8 bolts, 4 screwsm a few connectors, and a friend to help lift and off it comes.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Kenne Bell Supercharger, Alchohol Injection, SCT Pro-Racer Package, 50# CPR Injectors, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, Ported 50mm TB, JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40, 3-Inch Exhaust, MOPAR M1 Manifold, Street Scene Mirrors, 20" Chrome XS Rims, GY HP Ultra Plus's, DynoJet Wideband, MSD 6A, MSD Coil, Hotchkis TVS, Bilstein shocks, Cervini's S.S. Ram-Air Hood, Sir-Michael's Roll Pan, Stillen Front Bumper, Diamond Headlights/Corners, Custom Leather Door Panel pads, 180 Degree T-Stat, Taylor Wires, Optima Yellow Top, and More.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:42 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Well now I'm at a cross road. He dropped the price of it to $5700. I'll get the link. Hold on.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 PM
The DAKOTANUT

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/658427933.html

Here it is. Read it for yourself and tell me what you think. I've talked to him already. The mileage is my only concern. I'll be driving it all over the country. Working on drilling rigs and all.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM

The pump isn't a big deal, I wouldn't break the deal solely over that. See how much a new one costs though and see if he'll go down that amount on the price.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Did you look at it? It doesn't look bad. I'm just getting a work truck. I do however need the fuel gauge to work. That would suck. Middle of nowhere and no gas. I might do that. Yall think it is the guage or sender? I'm sure the pump works. He drives it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

It's more than likely the sender. The sender, filter, and pump are all one assembly, so you'll need to buy a whole new pump assembly to change the sender.

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Check out the write-up I did and you'll see what I mean, as well on how to take the pump out of the tank.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ht=holley+pump

1999 RC Dakota R/T:
Old 05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
The DAKOTANUT

Do they come with 255lph pumps? I've got 1 already. It is a Walbro for a Ford Tbird. I'm just waiting for the damn thing to go completely out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: