195~180~160 Thermostat? I dunno. - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.2L/5.9L/6.7L Engines Questions regarding the 5.2L/5.9L/6.7L V8 Engines

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What Temp of T-stat do you run?
OEM/Mopar 2 4.26%
195 6 12.77%
180 34 72.34%
160 4 8.51%
Dunno 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Archive Digger

Vehicle: 2002 Durango R/T
Send a message via AIM to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via MSN to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via Yahoo to SHiVMan R/T
Lightbulb 195~180~160 Thermostat? I dunno.

OK.. I have been digging through the forums and see that the 180 stat is what everyone is using. Today I was looking through Autozone.com, and I find 3 temps of thermostats for my vehicle: 195, 180, and 160 all available from several manufacturers..and very CHEAP too! I figure 195 is OEM, the 180 is what everyone uses to prevent/reduce knocking and pinging with SuperChips/Custom Flash/SCT.... So what applications would the 160 be used for? Is there such a thing as running too cool? What would the pros and cons be? I can only assume the 160 is used for some real intensive applications. I am intrigued to see if it would be any benefit for towing, since I inherited a HUGE camper. But as the Title says: I dunno. Anyone care to explain? I was going to buy the 180, but I wanted this question answered first. Thanks a million.
FIVE DOOR WHORE #97
'02 Durango R/T w/ 80k+ miles...
Mods: ~ CAI ~MaGnAfLoW ExHaUsT~
To Do List:~ M1 ~ FaStMaN TB ~ HS 1.7rrs ~ "Tom Fox" FLaSh ~ InFiNiTy CoMps ~ LoNg TuBe HeAdErS ~ EtC. ~

Last edited by SHiVMan R/T; 03-13-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 AM
bwdakrt

Run the 180*. The 160* is too cold and will cause your engine to throw a code.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 AM
Swap Meet Moderator

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Reputation: 172 DakotaLivLrg is a name known to allDakotaLivLrg is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DakotaLivLrg Send a message via MSN to DakotaLivLrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdakrt View Post
Run the 180*. The 160* is too cold and will cause your engine to throw a code.
good info to know ... I just went with a 180 cause everyone else does
Scott aka DJ Six 4...SSRage for life. The original Dak-Dur postwhore thread....Dog #38 - Pinky Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
ps If you are a Royal Purple user, you really need to use the matching Violet scented compressed air in your tires for maximum fuel mileage!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 AM
bwdakrt

This is the code you will see with the 160*. Been there, done that!

P0125 (M) Engine Is Cold Too Long Engine does not reach operating temperature.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Pro-Beater Class

Vehicle: 1993 Dakota
As the son of an engine builder I consider myself knowing of what makes engines run right and run long. I have a 195 degree thermostat in my truck for a reason. A huge misconception about engines is that heat is bad, wrong, dead wrong, heat is a really good thing when it comes to engines, they're supposed to run hot, just not too hot. Plus in normal weather thermostats pretty much just affects how long it takes an engine to warm up. You want it to warm up as quick as possible and a 160 or 180 just increses the time that it takes for an engine to warm up causeing more damage to the engine in the long run. Not a ton, but it's better for the engine to run at proper operating temp.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 AM
Involuntary Participant

Vehicle: 2000 dakota R/T 1 of 46
I have a 160, with that you have to have a custom flash or STC, that will prevent it from throwing code. You also need the flash to change the set point for your e-fan.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Archive Digger

Vehicle: 2002 Durango R/T
Send a message via AIM to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via MSN to SHiVMan R/T Send a message via Yahoo to SHiVMan R/T
Awesome. Thanks for all the prompt replies. 180 it is!
FIVE DOOR WHORE #97
'02 Durango R/T w/ 80k+ miles...
Mods: ~ CAI ~MaGnAfLoW ExHaUsT~
To Do List:~ M1 ~ FaStMaN TB ~ HS 1.7rrs ~ "Tom Fox" FLaSh ~ InFiNiTy CoMps ~ LoNg TuBe HeAdErS ~ EtC. ~

Last edited by SHiVMan R/T; 03-13-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 AM
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Reputation: 171 hskrRT is a name known to allhskrRT is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
M1koter
Please enlighten me on how a thermostat with a colder setting is going to make the engine take longer to warm up to the thermostats rated temperature.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Swap Meet Moderator

Vehicle: 1999 Dakota R/T
Reputation: 172 DakotaLivLrg is a name known to allDakotaLivLrg is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DakotaLivLrg Send a message via MSN to DakotaLivLrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrRT View Post
M1koter
Please enlighten me on how a thermostat with a colder setting is going to make the engine take longer to warm up to the thermostats rated temperature.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing ... please enlighten us
Scott aka DJ Six 4...SSRage for life. The original Dak-Dur postwhore thread....Dog #38 - Pinky Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
ps If you are a Royal Purple user, you really need to use the matching Violet scented compressed air in your tires for maximum fuel mileage!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 AM
G.F.Y racing president

Vehicle: 2005 dodge magnum rt
Send a message via Yahoo to realdeal7369
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Koter View Post
As the son of an engine builder I consider myself knowing of what makes engines run right and run long. I have a 195 degree thermostat in my truck for a reason. A huge misconception about engines is that heat is bad, wrong, dead wrong, heat is a really good thing when it comes to engines, they're supposed to run hot, just not too hot. Plus in normal weather thermostats pretty much just affects how long it takes an engine to warm up. You want it to warm up as quick as possible and a 160 or 180 just increses the time that it takes for an engine to warm up causeing more damage to the engine in the long run. Not a ton, but it's better for the engine to run at proper operating temp.
remind me to never ask you for any advice on anything my friend..lol..just because your the son of an engine builder, dont mean your right. think ill take my chances on building my own engine....

that comment you made is by far.......................................WRONG!

the 195* thermo takes the engine longer to reach temperature. not the 160 or 180* a cooler running engine (all be it not too cool), makes parts wear longer. oil wont break down as fast with the duration of excessive heat buildup over time I.E.: 195* or more.

now my rule f thumb when it consists of the thermo is its all relative to where you live (in relation to climate change) and how well you dont mind having the heater not blow as hot with a 195* thermo in as compared to a 180*. the difference to many might be minimal, but for some, it may be the deciding factor of it.

i have a 180 i believe in mine, it was liek that when i got it, so needless to say, i wont be changing it unless i take my intake off to modify it or toss on either the 4bbl intake or the m1.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Involuntary Participant

Vehicle: 2000 dakota R/T 1 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Koter View Post
A huge misconception about engines is that heat is bad, wrong, dead wrong, heat is a really good thing when it comes to engines,
In that case can I remove my cooling system, and get better performance? It would be lighter and get real hot witch is good!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 AM
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Reputation: 171 hskrRT is a name known to allhskrRT is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
Well, now that all depends realdeal. A lot of it has to do with the tune of the motor and any mods that are done. Stock our trucks run a little rich, even with the 195 t-stat. You throw a colder t-stat on there and it will run even more rich than stock. Then you run the risk of washing down the cylinder walls each time the injector fires because it's not burning off all the fuel. Not only does this affect the lubrication of the cylinder, but the extra fuel in the oil also shortens the life of the oil. For the average person driving their truck, who isn't running it hard, a 195 is the ideal temp to run since that is what the stock computer is tuned for. Not only will you get better gas mileage, but also better longevity. Once you start modding the motor, then it's a completely different story. And most performance tunes for our PCMs actually require a 180 t-stat because that's what they are tuned for to help with detonation.

Regardless, a 160 t-stat is way too cold for most people. I see blown guys running them for the extra cooling, but that's about it. 180 is pretty much the gold standard for performance builds.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 AM
ROFLcopter

Vehicle: 99 r/t
Send a message via AIM to Bad_banana
I ran the 160 on mine, or got the truck with it, had no problems. Although the 180 is recommended.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Hot Rods need 3 pedals!

Vehicle: 97 Dakota
I ran a 160 for a few years, never threw a code or ran into any problems because of it. When i switched over to an M1, I couldn't find a 160 local so i got a 180. Didn't really see a difference at all between the 2.
*cough* www.racemagnum.com *cough*
Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Hi. ImAnAsshole. Bye.

Vehicle: Durango on 24s yo
Reputation: 128 Fluffy is a glorious beacon of lightFluffy is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Fluffy Send a message via Yahoo to Fluffy
180 is the way to go for these trucks IMO, I wouldn't even throw a 160 in my Dakota.

Quickly read the post above, as it will more than likely be deleted within the hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: