99 durango front end noise - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:04 PM
raijinzero

Unhappy 99 durango front end noise

I recently bought a 99 durango 5.9 4x4 and noticed the front driver side making a clanking noise when I go over bumps in the road. When I apply the brakes over bumps it doesn't make noise. Could someone plz help and explain what this problem could be. Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Old SchooL'!

Vehicle: Red 2002 Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to MoparDrvn Send a message via Yahoo to MoparDrvn
bring it to a dealership I got a extended warrenty notice for my 02 dakota for the front end they have been haveing problems they might do it for free????

Southern Louisiana Mopar Club
2002 FR CC R/T
DRTC # 894
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dakota R/T
Send a message via AIM to WicKed R/T
I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. I brought it in for "clunking noise" and they replaced both upper ball joints. No charge. The best part is that they drilled out the old ones and the new ones are bolted in, so if i ever have to change them again i can get the moog greaseable ones and not have to deal with cutting those rivets off.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that the recall/warranty doesnt include 98 & 99 models. But i wouldnt doubt that it's the ball joints

Dustin B.
14.18@97mph
SoLA Mopar Club V.P.

Last edited by WicKed R/T; 02-12-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:53 PM
raijinzero

Do you know about how much it would cost to replace the ball joints ? and would the noise go away when i press the brakes if it is the ball joints ?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:30 AM

Vehicle: 99 dodge durango/ 03 neon
do you have 4 wheel drive? because we had to take the durango in last month because a bearing seal was bacd and caused the bearing to run dry and in the process scarring up the spline shaft coming out of the diff. the crazy thing was it happened with days fron us hearing the noise because our mechanic said thet there was very little oil that had built up around the bad seal meaning that it happen quickly.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:46 AM
raijinzero

yes my durango is a four wheel drive and did the noise stop when you applied the brake because the noise i have coming from the front end stops whe i apply the brakes over bumps in the road .
Old 02-15-2005, 02:36 AM

Vehicle: 99 dodge durango/ 03 neon
We pretty much only heard it when we had in in 4x and while accelerating or if going up hill (putting a greater load on the drivetrain)

Another thought is to check your brake pads for wear and to see if maybe you need new pads.... a shim could have slipped out of place?

like what was said ball joints could be a cause too. Jack up your front end and push/pull on the wheel assembly for any play in the wheel ( careful not to pull it off the jack that never happened to anything I owned)

...oh and what about your CV joint? I haven't ever hear of many people having CV problems on any veichles that have less that 120,000 miles on them which puts all but a few hard driven durangos in that catagory

other than those suggestions take it to a mechanic.

Last edited by AKpirate; 02-15-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 PM
moetone1

Did you get an answer yet?

I would bet on the ball joints.

You must know about the recall by now. Of course, it doesn't cover the 99. They probably think if it is a 99, it has too many miles on it and they will blame it on wear and tear instead of the true problem. I had mine changed under warranty after 36k miles about 3 years ago. My regular mechanic was shocked that the ball joints wer ruined so soon. Some people started talking about this a few years ago, but it took a few years for Dodge to make the recall.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 98 dakota
The best way to check the front is to jack it up grab tire at bottom and top like someonelse suggested or put a bar or pipe under tirelift up as somene is watching ball joints to see if there is any movement slight movement is okanything over 1/8in should be changed grab wheel on try to wiggle sides if movement is there maybe tie-rod end problem to check half shaft grab try to move toward front and rear of truck no movement should be present movement from side to side is ok
just some ways to trouble shoot your front end
hope this helps Rick
Old 03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Sold

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota SXT standard
Send a message via AIM to Ben
I think it's your ball joints, but it could be a loose caliper, since the noise stops when the brakes are appiled. A bad ball joint should make the noise all the time.
2005 Honda CRF50F-My mini stunt bike.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 99 Durango
I agree with the above, it sound like a missing caliper pin. The metal in the steering knuckle apparently is pretty soft and it is easy to misalign the pin in the rubber sleeve. My self and a number of others have done it. Pull the wheel and inspect the caliper. Check the threads. If they are stripped, Auto parts stores have oversize self tapping caliper pins. (I have two in one side) Or you can get heli coils.
99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, SCT, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: