03 Won't shift out of park... - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 03 Durango
03 Won't shift out of park...

Long time lurker...first time poster.

Figures it's a trans Q!! Truck just went out of warrenty about 2k miles ago, and I haven't had any problem with it in the 2 years that I've owned it.

I can hear some sort of "click" when the brake pedel is pressed...I'm guessing its some sort of sensor, but I came up snakeeyes in the haynes manual.

Any idea what this widget is called?

Oh...BTW its a 4.7 SLT with fulltime AWD...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
lost in translation

Vehicle: 1995 dodge ram sport
your getting a clicking sound when compressing the brake pedal and wont shift out of park am i understanding you correctly

Easily worth 2 in teh bush.Bionicdodge.com..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Yes...That is correct.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
THE 2 TONE FLAMED BULLET

Vehicle: 99 DAKOTA CC R/T
Reputation: 101 Silver Bullet is just really niceSilver Bullet is just really nice
this is just a guess and i havent had this prob with my dakota but with another truck i had it wouldnt shift because the cable from the shifter to the tranny broke...try going under the truck and pushing the thing into a diff gear manually...make sure there is someone else with you to hold their foot on the break and make sure it doesnt move......good luck

[B]K&N 14"+Xstream lid,Superchips,M1,F&B 50mm,twin ramair hood,JBA shorties,2/3drop,Clear Corners&Heads,tinted tails,CUSTOM 2TONE,sniper grill,Lebra bed cover,35%&10%tint+brow,Kenwood Excellon..
Matt AKA DOG #31 Young Grasshopper DOG
Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Big mouth heavy foot

Vehicle: '98 Dakota R/T CC
The click you hear is the shift lock, it won't allow the truck to shift untill the brake is applied. Does the shift lever move at all?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:33 AM

After trying 5 or 6 times, I finally got it to move out of park.....Just kept putting my foot on the brake and that did the trick.....I'm going to drive it tommorow and see what happens with it.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 AM
ROFLcopter

Vehicle: 99 r/t
Send a message via AIM to Bad_banana
weird... Let us know. I had a click before, I somehow didn't get it ALL the way into gear.. Don't ask me how. Re-shift and I was fine.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 AM
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Vehicle: none
Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
If the lever isn't completely up in park the park shift interlock won't disengage...sometimes I'll grab the shifter before my foot is on the brake and it won't do it.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 AM

Drove it all over the place ice fishing today...probably shifted it in and out of park 50 times....never had a problem with it. Damn dodge gremlins I guess.

See how it goes...Hard to fix it if it's not broke!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Durango
'02 stuck in park

Seems I am experiencing the same problem with my '02 DD since relocating to Iowa. It only happens in the winter and after the vehicle runs and warms up for a long period of time, it will eventually shift into gear. While waiting for this to happen yesterday morning, I removed the rubber boot at the base of the shift arm and found the shift lock. I pressed it in and I was able to shift. Now, I just have to find out what is causing it to stick.

My first suspect was the solenoid (sp?) that engages when the brake is depressed. I can hear the click but the shift locking mechanism does not always disengage.

Like I said before, it only happens only when it is cold (less than 15 degrees).

Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 PM

Reputation: 239 caulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to beholdcaulk04 is a splendid one to behold
Make sure the recall for the shift block has been performed. Once that is done and known to be working properly, then troubleshoot from there.

The solenoid may be gummed up, cable frozen etc etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Durango
Recall on shift block has been performed according to Dodge Customer Service(only way to check as I am the second owner).

Is there any way to test the solenoid? This is my first suspect part as the shift arm moves very smoothly once the lock is disengaged.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM

Not sure, I've never really looked to closely at it. Time to pull parts and start playing
Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Durango
How to fix a Durango that will not shift out of park

I have an 03 Durango and about a year ago it would not shift out of park at the gas station in Iowa when the temp was below zero. After messing with it for 15 minutes it shifted. Yesterday it happened again at about 4 below. Today at about 30 above it worked. I did some investigating and found mine does not have any interlock between the brake and shifter. When the key is turned of in park a rectangular pin is forced out mechanically by the turning action of the key switch. When the key is turned back on without touching the brake the pin retracts and the shifter can then move into gear. Nothing to do with the brake pedal. I couldn't find any grease that may be hanging the pin up in cold weather but I suspect that may be the cause and it may be back in the mechanism. It looks like the system relies on a spring to pull the pin back when the key is turned on. I could bind the pin by pulling down on the shift lever while in park and then when I turned the key on the pin would not retract. Today it would retract if I wiggled the shifter with the key on. I did leave the boot out of position on the shift lever and then I can see the pin and push it back in if it sticks again. We have at least three more months of cold that may cause this again and I don't want to be stuck somewhere when it is cold. Hope this help someone.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Thanks for the info.....It may very well be usefull infomation someday.

I havent had any problems all year... till we had that 1st cold snap and then it was being a PIA to get out...only did it that 1 day.

Good thing is that im in SC for the next week so I wont have to worry about it.....till I get back to the tundra!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: