Programming a new key - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Troubleshooter's Forum A place to ask technical questions.

post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
02_RT

Vehicle: 2002 Durango SLT+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Programming a new key

Maybe this is the proper place to post this question:

So I had a good laugh when the Stealership told me that in order to buy and have programmed a new key for my '02 Durango, plus program an additional remote, I would need to spend almost 2 bills. Yeah, right. There has to be a way around this.
I just bought a transponder key for $15; I have an extra unprogrammed remote and a friend (former Chrysler tech) with an OBD11 reader. Gonna look him up and see what can be done. I only have 1 working key and 1 working remote (but I don't really trust it). Does anyone know the process for programming a fresh key? I'd like to go prepared.

Life Is Too Short To Drive An Ugly Truck ... ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
modain
I drive with two feet

Vehicle: 2002 Dak QC, 2001 Durango
Modifications: Superchips 3715, no chrome, R/T rear sway bar, Monroe Reflex shocks

If you have the owner's manual it contains the instructions for programming the key fobs. If you don't have the manual, I or someone else can easily supply the procedure. It's quite simple and you only need one functioning/programmed fob to perform it. You can program up to four fobs to your truck.

You will need two working transponder keys to program additional ones. So: if you only have one, you'll have to get it done at the dealer or by a locksmith that has the correct equipment.

2002 Graphite QC SLT Plus, 4.7L, NV3500, Superchips 3715, HO Cams, 2003 Intake Manifold, Dwight's 65mm TB, 3.92 LSD, R/T rear swaybar, no chrome
2001 Patriot Blue Durango SLT, 4.7L, 545RFE, Superchips 3715, Fastman 68mm TB, Jeep GC TCM, R/T rear swaybar, 3.55 Open (for now)
1999 Forest Green Dakota RC Sport, 2.5L, NV1500, Jeep 4.0L TB, 3.92 LSD

post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
TazRango
Jersey Boy

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT+ 4.7
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
"Ever had one of those days where you want to light someone's face on fire and try to put it out with a fork?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan View Post
fuck it, Im going to convert those to HID and stick them in my heads, fogs, tails, double heads, and my butt so I make a halo while shitting

It would be like a holy shit, and maybe one around my penis for that illuminating experience a girl has hahahaahahahaah
Quote:
"Through this inscription I wish to enter my dying protest against what is called the Democratic party. I have watched it closely since the days of Jackson, and know that all the misfortunes of our nation has come to it though this so-called party. Therefore beware this party of TREASON." -Nathaniel Grigsby (1890)
Quote:
"How many times is Biden gonna say something stupid?" -Barack Obama (378 gaffes and counting!)

Last edited by TazRango; 08-18-2010 at 03:01 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Nite_Vizion

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota QC 3.9 2wd

Send a message via Yahoo to Nite_Vizion
I have only one fob and it doesn't work on my truck, I'm assuming it's just not programmed but I'm not sure. I replaced the battery and it still doesn't work, so I guess I have no choice but to go to the stealership/locksmith to find out for sure, right?

-Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: