transmission flush or drain old oil and replace filter - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transmissions Shift Kits, Transmissions, Torque Converters, Clutches

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: car
Send a message via MSN to aristeidis
transmission flush or drain old oil and replace filter

Just wondering......why get a transmission flush? whats the diffenernce to just drop the pan and replace the filter and oil?

I have not owned this truck since new and i was curios if i should get it flashed or just change the oil and filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
G.F.Y racing president

Vehicle: 1997 dodge dakota sport
Send a message via Yahoo to realdeal7369
just dropping the pan, and changing the filter does not get all the fluid out of it. there is alot left in the converter. a reverse flush will take 95-100% of the old fluid out. then you can go about a new filter and new fluid. recommend mobil1 atf+4 or castrol i foget who makes it though, its in a blue container. id also suggest a deep trans pan, and get a cooler put in too.

how many miles are on the truck? after you do this (if you decide too), then i wouldnt do it again for say another 50K. this helps keeps the internals as sanitary as can be.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM

The truck has 118 500km....i am not sure when the prievis owner changed it last.

(it km not miles...CANADA)
Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota
Reputation: 197 Jarheadoo7 is a name known to allJarheadoo7 is a name known to all
while you are in there.. have the front and rear bands adjusted..

im at 30,000Miles and at 37500 i gotta drop the pan/change oil and it states to have the bands adjusted..
might as well do it while your there
Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 PM
nstg8tr

Vehicle: 2000 R/T
Reputation: 171 hskrRT is a name known to allhskrRT is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to hskrRT Send a message via Yahoo to hskrRT
The band adjustment isn't recommended by Dodge anymore. Why I don't know. Probably from too many quick lube places screwing up the adjustment.

If you don't know the history of the trans or how old the fluid is, then I suggest a complete flush, and then get the filter changed. Check with the shop doing the work. Some shops don't change the filter when they flush the trans.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrRT View Post
The band adjustment isn't recommended by Dodge anymore. Why I don't know. Probably from too many quick lube places screwing up the adjustment.

If you don't know the history of the trans or how old the fluid is, then I suggest a complete flush, and then get the filter changed. Check with the shop doing the work. Some shops don't change the filter when they flush the trans.
cool....thanks i will take it in to the dealer ship and get it done
Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
I would assume that the QC has a 4.7 and hence no bands to adjust. I had mine flushed when I got it because I didn't know the maintenance previously done. If you drop the pan and change the fluid every 20,000 or so it should be fine. By the way, when they flushed mine they did not open anything so the filters were not changed. I dropped the pan and changed both filters at the end of the towing season to be sure.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Dakota QC
Sorry, meant 45rfe...
Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlobitz View Post
I would assume that the QC has a 4.7 and hence no bands to adjust. I had mine flushed when I got it because I didn't know the maintenance previously done. If you drop the pan and change the fluid every 20,000 or so it should be fine. By the way, when they flushed mine they did not open anything so the filters were not changed. I dropped the pan and changed both filters at the end of the towing season to be sure.
When i had my R/T i had it flushed and they replaced the filter to. I paid like $230 (CANADIAN)to have it all done
Old 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM
don't feed the bears

Vehicle: 2001 Dakota
Reputation: 197 Jarheadoo7 is a name known to allJarheadoo7 is a name known to all
[QUOTE=hskrRT;947101]The band adjustment isn't recommended by Dodge anymore. QUOTE]

uh oh, should I not have mine adjusted at the next service interval? or should I take it to the dealership?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:56 PM
nstg8tr

It's not a bad thing to have them adjusted. Just like the shoes on your brakes, the lining on the bands wear out over time. The adjustment was supposed to keep them at the proper setting for good shifts. Like i said, not sure why Dodge took it out of the servicing procedures. The only thing I could think of was too many quick lube places doing it wrong and screwing stuff up. If you take it to the dealer and ask them, they may or may not do it. But if I was going to have it done, I would want the dealer to do it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:22 PM
G.F.Y racing president

i know mine needs done. i have a slight run-away condition at a certain throttle position in second to third. dont like the shifts at all though imo in my truck. little too lazy between shifts
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM
G.F.Y racing president

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlobitz View Post
they should have. id say not to go back to them then. kind of redundant to go through all that and NOT change the filter.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 PM
G.F.Y racing president

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristeidis View Post
When i had my R/T i had it flushed and they replaced the filter to. I paid like $230 (CANADIAN)to have it all done
got a question. if you had the rt done, and you know whats involved, why ask the original question in the first place.? im a little stumped here.

always a good point to start fresh when you get a used vehicle i think. change all fluids, and filters. then you know at least when stuff was done.

i was also told that a trans drian and fill every year is a wise choice. fluind flush i would bet every 50K is a wise choice too, cause just draining the fluid and doing the filter just doesnt get all the debris out. especially all the little fine particles.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:06 AM
nstg8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal7369 View Post
i know mine needs done. i have a slight run-away condition at a certain throttle position in second to third. dont like the shifts at all though imo in my truck. little too lazy between shifts
Let me guess. Somewhere between 3/4 and not quite full throttle it will seem like it tries to shift, and then drops into neutral or maybe back into 1st unless you back out of it?? Mine does the same thing. Easy fix. WOT all the time during acceleration. Or I just don't go past 1/2 throttle when speeding up. Lately for me, it's been keep it under 1/2 throttle because for some reason my torque converter doesn't like to lock up at all if I go WOT until I get to the speed limit.

As far as the lazy between shifts, I have a shift kit in mine, plus I tweaked on the TV cable to get them where I want. I highly recommend a shift kit to help extend the life of the trans. If installed properly, there will be less slipping between shifts which also means less wear on the bands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: