Replacing Headlight Bulb? - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums
Register Home Forum Extras Website Features Timeslips Calendar Garage Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gen I Durangos 1998-2003 Durango-Specific Questions

Dakota-Durango.com is the premier Dodge Dakota Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM
fgebarowski

Replacing Headlight Bulb?

All I want to do was replace my headlight bulbs with new ones. Easy, right? But I can't seem to turn the plastic retaining ring with my fingers, per the owners manual. (Can't do either side.) Am I doing something wrong? If the rings are stuck, any alternative ways to take it apart, or any special tools? Thanks! (1998 Durango)

Freddo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Dakota QC
Send a message via AIM to Super Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Super Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgebarowski
All I want to do was replace my headlight bulbs with new ones. Easy, right? But I can't seem to turn the plastic retaining ring with my fingers, per the owners manual. (Can't do either side.) Am I doing something wrong? If the rings are stuck, any alternative ways to take it apart, or any special tools? Thanks! (1998 Durango)

Freddo
Just give them a good turn to the left. The first time I changed my bulbs my rings were also quite hard to take off. It also helps to take the battery out to change the drivers side. Its hard to get a hand down there with it in the way.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Durango SLT
The easiest way is to take the headlight assembly out of the truck!

It is really easy. LOL. First remove the lower amber corner housing. To do this there will be a screw, probably a torx #10 in the outside corner between the headlight and the amber corners. This is the only screw you need to unscrew to remove the corner lights. Pull the corners straight out, it is held on by plastic clips. Remove the bulbs by twisting a 1/4 turn. Now that thing is out of the way it only gets easier. There are three bolts and a ball/joint clip that hold the headlight housing in place. Using a socket wrench with an extender unbolt the three bolts. Then firmly grasp the headlight and pull straight out to free the ball joint clip. Remove the headlight bulb and Bada Bing Foooghetaboutit! Good Luck I hope this helps!

Here is what mine look like:

5 DOOR WHORE #1

Click for Pics!!

Westin Bull Bar, PIAA 540's, Billet Fuel Door, 3" Custom CAI w/ K&N filter, Chrome Differential Cover
Old 01-30-2005, 03:37 AM
mod-a-holic

Vehicle: 1999 Durango SLT + 4X4
Send a message via ICQ to rockadaous Send a message via AIM to rockadaous Send a message via MSN to rockadaous
come on man. ram you arm in there and tear it up like i did mine
rock 5 Door Whore #5 (Fo Sho)
99 Durango SLT+ 4X4
Interior mods
Lotek gauge pod*redline shifter*nu-image panels*rev glow gauge w/chrome bezel*billetpro knobs*titanium pedals
Exterior mods
Cervinis SS Hood*Keystone spoiler*billet gas door*MB Motoring 20X10*Eagle Goodyear GT II*SS speed grille*vent visor*chrome altezza's*Euro diamond cut headlight & parks,chrome differential cover
Engine mods
Intense Performance stage II w/9" bigmouth filter*180 T-stat*billet caps*mopar valve cover*GSport hose*40 series Flowmaster w/duals*reflexx shocks
http://cardomain.com/id/durang0
Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Bamboo

Another visual.......it takes less then 5 minutes a side to change the bulbs out. :biggthump
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight.jpg (65.1 KB, 402 views)
Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: 01 Flat Black X-AWD V8 QC
I suffered a scrape or two, but I managed to shove my hands into the spaces and get to the bulbs. Took all of 5 minutes to do both sides...
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 PM
mod-a-holic

Send a message via ICQ to rockadaous Send a message via AIM to rockadaous Send a message via MSN to rockadaous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo
Another visual.......it takes less then 5 minutes a side to change the bulbs out. :biggthump
this would explain the plastic fix post
99 Durango SLT+ 4X4
Interior mods
Lotek gauge pod*redline shifter*nu-image panels*rev glow gauge w/chrome bezel*billetpro knobs*titanium pedals
Exterior mods
Cervinis SS Hood*Keystone spoiler*billet gas door*MB Motoring 20X10*Eagle Goodyear GT II*SS speed grille*vent visor*chrome altezza's*Euro diamond cut headlight & parks,chrome differential cover
Engine mods
Intense Performance stage II w/9" bigmouth filter*180 T-stat*billet caps*mopar valve cover*GSport hose*40 series Flowmaster w/duals*reflexx shocks
Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Bamboo

Rock, yes I thought the bottom right bolt was out and it was just the little ball joint holding things up so I just gave it a big tug and snapped it off. I was in a hurry (lesson...don't work on your truck when rushed to get it done.)
Old 02-12-2005, 05:31 AM
mod-a-holic

I know exactly what your talking about. I broke mine putting in the diamond clears the diamonds came with a new one thank God :biggthump
99 Durango SLT+ 4X4
Interior mods
Exterior mods
Engine mods
Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 AM
furyschild666

the funny part is if you blow the fuse for the headlights while installing the bulbs,trying to find that damm headlight fuse block,they hid it real good
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 00 dakota CC 98 dakota RC
i never could get to do it before until i figured a way too, put the wire through the ring lock, snap on the bulb, place the bulb in - make sure it doesnt move and cant move once in right, then slide up the ring up right and turn -just a slight tight turn- and its in.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Rajunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyschild666
the funny part is if you blow the fuse for the headlights while installing the bulbs,trying to find that damm headlight fuse block,they hid it real good
So please tell, I need to change mine and could not find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: